- 12 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Founded in 1945, LAMusArt is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of young people by providing them with the resources for a high-quality arts education. We aim to provide opportunities for underserved students in East Los Angeles and its surrounding communities, regardless of race, gender, aptitude, or socio-economic status, to engage in and have access to multidisciplinary and sequential low-cost and/or no-cost arts education programs. For more information, visit www.LAMusArt.org
About this job
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will lead the organization's day-to-day operations with the support of 5 full-time staff and a team of 30 teaching artists. The ideal candidate will be a passionate arts advocate, strong communicator, collaborator, and avid fundraiser. He or she will possess a growth mindset, exhibit high emotional intelligence, and demonstrate cultural competence in his or her approach to leadership and management. As a proven team leader and experienced nonprofit executive with a commitment to the arts and the Los Angeles community, the Executive Director will partner with the Board of Directors to determine the strategic and artistic direction of the organization while working with the leadership team to build capacity and expand partnerships in order to serve more youth in their creative endeavors.
Roles & responsibilities
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership & Strategy
·Be responsible for overall leadership of the organization, including strategic planning and artistic direction in alignment with the mission and values of LAMusArt.
·Ensure the organization understands and is following best practices in nonprofit management and governance.
·Support operations and overall administration by serving as a liaison between the Board and staff and supporting the Board of Directors to fulfill its governance function.
·Work in conjunction with the management team to develop and deliver effective and efficient programs.
·Foster an organizational culture that attracts and supports a dynamic staff and maintains a competitive level of quality services.
·Facilitate effective Board participation in transformation planning, financial oversight, community outreach, and fundraising.
· Ensure organization's transformational action steps are monitored and implemented.
· Recruit and welcome potential Board members and Advisory Board members.
Staff Management & Operations
·Oversee all day-to-day operations and programs.
· Identify, recruit, onboard, train, and retain administrative and teaching artist staff.
· Foster a culture of high employee engagement and morale.
·Work with staff to ensure that programmatic work grows and adapts to meet community needs.
·Produce culminating performances to showcase student programming on an ongoing basis.
· Evaluate programming, impact, and success metrics for the institution.
Financial Management & Resource Development
·Oversee all financial matters of LAMusArt, including planning, controls, forecasting, and analytical activities, ensuring fiscal health and alignment to short and long-term goals.
·Create and maintain external relations, especially relationships with funders, to sustain longer-term fundraising efforts.
·Develop and nurture relationships with all constituents, including families, community members, and institutional partners.
·Oversee and partner with leadership team in creating and implementing a robust and diverse fundraising strategy, inclusive of major donors, corporations, foundations, events, and other creative revenue streams.
· Spearhead fundraising campaigns and events, including annual gala.
· Serve as the main spokesperson for LAMusArt, seeking out opportunities for public speaking engagements and a web presence that advances strategic goals and reputation with nonprofit partners, government relations, and community members.
· Promote LAMusArt to support enrollment and increase visibility of organization.
·Vision for long-range strategic and artistic planning while focusing on the day-to-day needs of the organization.
·Preferred minimum of 5 years of senior management experience in a non-profit organization (preferably in the arts), using creative problem solving.
· Bachelor or above degree in arts education administration, or related field.
· Experience with other nonprofit, youth development, and community agencies.
· Experience with balancing a budget of $1 million.
· Skill and experience in diversified fundraising and major donor development.
·Demonstrated leadership and management skills and abilities with team building and creating trusting relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
·Strong public speaker with excellent writing skills to effectively communicate the organization's mission, vision and accomplishments to donors, clients, partners, volunteers, board members, and the general community. Must also be an effective listener.
·Familiar with technology to lead the organization toward implementation of improved services, administration, communication, fundraising capacity, and measurement of strategic planning and program impacts.
·Experience developing, measuring, and evaluating programs through effective metrics.
· Connections within the creative and arts communities to develop partnerships.
· Bilingual with Spanish, preferred but not required.
· Familiar with the East Los Angeles geography, leaders, and stakeholders.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until December 21, 2022. Candidate interviews will be conducted in January 2023, with a target of filling the position in late February/early March. Selected candidates will participate in several rounds of interviews with members of the Board of Directors, including 1-2 phone interviews and a final round on-site interview at LAMusArt to meet with other Board members and staff.