President and Chief Executive Officer
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
ABOUT LOS ANGELES CONSERVANCY
The Los Angeles Conservancy, a membership-based nonprofit organization, believes that historic preservation empowers and nourishes community by creating meaningful connections between people.
With its two-fold mission of advocacy and education, the Conservancy preserves existing architectural resources by raising public awareness of the value of those resources through tours, lectures, publications and programs. Grounded in a deep love for Los Angeles City and County, the mission is to recognize, preserve, and revitalize the historic architectural and cultural resources of Los Angeles County.
The Los Angeles Conservancy was established in 1978 out of a community-based effort to prevent demolition of the Los Angeles Central Library. Today, that journey has evolved as the organization strives to make preservation part of public policy, urban planning, and public consciousness. The organization boasts a membership of 4,500 households, the largest membership of any local preservation organization in the U.S., reflecting a commitment to the belief that historic places add value and meaning to the present and future.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The annual salary range is $200,000 – $225,000. The position is a hybrid position located in Downtown Los Angeles, CA. Benefits include: Employer paid medical & dental insurance for employee, life insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with a 5% match after one year of continuous employment, 14 paid holidays, vacation, sick and comp days, cell phone stipend and on-site parking.
Los Angeles Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender orientation, or different ability.
Envision Consulting was retained by Los Angeles Conservancy to conduct the search for their incoming President & CEO.
Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application process may contact Envision Consulting at 626.714.7577 to request and arrange for assistance.
To apply: https://apptrkr.com/4431287
About this job
ABOUT THE POSITION (See Candidate Profile)
The Los Angeles Conservancy seeks to hire a President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to succeed Linda Dishman, President and CEO for over 31 years. This new leader will honor the magnitude of previous accomplishments and continue to build upon the organization's legacy with a deep passion for preservation and be a voice for historic preservation policy, education, and advocacy in Los Angeles.
The President & CEO reports directly to the Board of Directors, leads a staff of 16 individuals as well as hundreds of volunteers, and manages an annual budget of approximately $3 million. President & CEO responsibilities include: Working with the Board of Directors to determine vision and overall strategy for the organization; leading and developing staff; establishing mutually beneficial community partnerships; cultivating individual and institutional donors; overseeing financial management and budgeting; ensuring the overall quality of programs and events; promoting an organizational culture of diversity, equity and inclusion, and serving as the spokesperson for the organization. The President and CEO has a strong relationship with City Hall to build support for historic preservation in broad policies, community plans and individual projects.
Candidate Profile: https://issuu.com/envisionnonprofit/docs/_la_conservatory_candidateprofile_ext_2_?fr=xKAE9_zU1NQ
Roles & responsibilities
Organizational Leadership & Strategy
• In collaboration with the Board of Directors, implements a strategic plan that aligns programs and activities with Los Angeles Conservancy’s mission, vision, and long-term goals.
• Responsible for the overall management and leadership of the organization including operations, programming, membership, partnerships, advocacy, fundraising, communications, and finances.
• Fosters an organizational culture that attracts, engages, motivates, and retains a diverse team of competent, qualified staff and volunteers.
• Effectively collaborates with the executive team to improve organizational efficiency and capacity.
• Develops positive and effective Board relationships; provides appropriate, adequate, and timely information to the Board and committees, and educates the Board on external issues affecting the organization and its vital work.
Finance & Fund Development
• Develops, proposes, and monitors the Board-approved annual budget and the overall financial health of the organization.
• Establishes a financial strategy, aligned with the overall vision and strategy of the organization, that ensures sustainability, healthy cash flow and adequate reserves.
• Cultivates fiscally sustainable relationships with foundations, corporations, major donors, and prospects, taking a leadership role in developing donor engagement strategies.
• Sets annual fundraising goals and ensures the agency budget is being appropriately administered.
Advocacy & Community Relations
• Serves as chief spokesperson for the organization to constituents, the media, local politicians, and the general public.
• Facilitates the integration of Los Angeles Conservancy into the fabric of the Los Angeles community, by effectively marketing, branding, and communicating its mission and programming.
• Leads campaigns to engage community members and partner organizations to support LAC efforts to shape policy and preserve individual buildings and neighborhoods.
• Builds and maintains relationships with diverse communities through a diversity, equity and inclusion lens.
• Works with legislators, regulatory agencies, and volunteers to promote legislative and regulatory policies.
• Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with various organizations to strategically enhance Los Angeles Conservancy’s mission.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience. Master’s degree in historic preservation, business, planning, nonprofit management or a related field preferred.
• A minimum of 10 years’ experience in progressively responsible roles within senior management positions.
• Demonstrated fundraising success with major donors, private foundations, and institutional partnerships.
• A passion and deep commitment that aligns with Los Angeles Conservancy’s mission and vision.
• Knowledge of historic preservation policy, education, and advocacy, highly preferred.
• Demonstrated success in creating and implementing a strategic plan, as well as forming strong community partnerships.
• Ability to lead operations and collaborate with staff and diverse community-based constituents with a wide range of faiths, beliefs, ages, cultures, political views and experiences.
• Experience leading programs based upon core values that are consistent with justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills building strong, collaborative, equity-centered, values-based organizational culture, as well as trusting relationships with a variety of external stakeholders.
• Demonstrated experience in risk management, with an emphasis on addressing strategic, financial and community implications.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4431287