Family Law Staff Attorney
- 2 months ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
The mission of Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice (LACLJ) is to secure justice for survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault and empower them to create their own future. Located in East Los Angeles, LACLJ is a non-profit law firm serving survivors throughout Los Angeles County. LACLJ’s primary practice areas are family law and immigration. However, LACLJ strives to provide clients with holistic legal services and has both a growing criminal justice advocacy and appellate practice. Additionally, through our integrated legal/social worker service model, LACLJ Community Advocates work alongside our attorneys providing supportive services such as education, safety planning, and linkages to other service providers as part of the legal team. LACLJ is committed to a trauma-informed and culturally-responsive workplace and service provision.
About this job
LACLJ seeks an attorney with a strong commitment to public interest and social justice advocacy. This attorney will represent low-income survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and/or human trafficking in a variety of family law matters, with a focus on providing representation on cases involving child custody such as restraining orders, dissolution and parentage actions. In addition, this position offers the opportunity to:
Roles & responsibilities
• Provide presentations and trainings to community partners and client communities on family law as well as other related legal issues;
• Develop relationships and collaborate with a range of public and private community partners to address systemic barriers facing LACLJ’s client community;
• Engage in other tasks and projects that further LACLJ’s mission and operations.
Preferred Candidates will have one or more of the following:
• Ability to read, write and speak fluently in Spanish
• Commitment to trauma-informed advocacy, cultural responsiveness, empathy, responsive listening, and demonstration of authentic care and concern
• Previous experience working with survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault or human trafficking and/or immigrant populations
• Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income people
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
• Work will be performed remotely or in an office setting at a workstation, or in court in person adhering to all COVID safety protocols
• This position requires concentration on tasks while facing distractions
• This position requires attendance at meetings, both remote and in person, in and outside the LACLJ office, and requires applicants be located in Southern California
• Use of office machines such as computers, photocopiers, and telephones
• Ability to work at and travel between the LACLJ main office at 5301 Whittier Blvd. in East Los Angeles and to Los Angeles Superior Court locations for in person court appearances
• LACLJ complies with all Los Angeles County Covid-19 Vaccine mandates, which may require candidates to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccinations and boosters
Salary and Benefits
This is a permanent exempt position with an annual salary range of $66,000-80,000 per year depending on experience. LACLJ offers a generous benefits package, a 35-hour workweek, paid vacation leave and sick leave and 100% employer-paid medical (Kaiser), dental, vision, long-term disability, life insurance. Staff also has the option to participate in a 403(b) retirement plan with matching, and dependent and health flex savings accounts (FSA). LACLJ is an eligible nonprofit employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the position in the subject. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender or gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation.