Managing Director of Operations
- 14 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Equality California is the nation’s largest statewide lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer+ (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization with over 900,000 members. Equality California brings the voices of LGBTQ+ people and allies to institutions of power in California and across the United States, striving to create a world that is healthy, just, and fully equal for all LGBTQ+ people. We advance civil rights and social justice by inspiring, advocating, and mobilizing through an inclusive movement that works tirelessly on behalf of those we serve. For more than 20 years, Equality California has been fighting for full, lived LGBTQ+ equality in a number of ways: electing pro-equality leaders up and down the ballot; passing pro-equality legislation in California, Nevada and Washington, DC; and fighting for LGBTQ+ civil rights and social justice in the courtroom.
Equality California Institute is a 501(c)(3) organization that has a parallel mission to Equality California, its 501(c)(4) counterpart. Equality California Institute works to achieve full, lived LGBTQ+ equality by reducing disparities in LGBTQ+ health and well-being, developing a pipeline of LGBTQ+ leaders and increasing civic participation within the LGBTQ+ community.
About this job
Equality California is hiring an experienced operations leader to envision and create an extraordinary culture for small, successful teams. The Managing Director of Operations will be responsible for setting vision for and leading the organization’s human resources, talent management, development, and programmatic functions. This position will manage four department heads and develop a comprehensive and cohesive strategy to ensure that the organization moves collectively in unison and in alignment with the overall mission.
This position supports a partially unionized workforce and is pivotal in helping to ensure Equality California employees feel supported and enjoy working at the organization. The Managing Director of Operations will report to the Executive Director, Tony Hoang, and will serve as a member of the organization’s leadership team. This role will also work closely and build a deep partnership with the Managing Director of External Affairs, Samuel Garrett-Pate, ensuring that all departments have the resources, representation, and tools for success.
The ideal candidate has the ability to balance several projects at once and work with multiple internal and external stakeholders at different levels of seniority. A successful Managing Director of Operations believes in building deep, authentic relationships and operates in a highly strategic and reliable manner.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary will be based on experience and includes competitive benefits (healthcare, dental, vision, long/short term disability, life insurance and 401K). This full-time position will be based out of the Los Angeles office with the option of working remotely two days a week. A flexible schedule including evening and weekend work time, as well as regular travel across California and sometimes, Nevada. Applicants will be reimbursed for mileage but must have a reliable car and be able to drive in California.
Roles & responsibilities
The Managing Director of Operations’ Primary Responsibilities include:
- Access and build upon the existing vision and approach for operations (goal setting, team meetings and routines, executive support, etc.) to ensure strong planning, alignment and execution across the organization
- Access and build upon the existing vision and approach for hiring, training and supporting our team with a focus on growth mindset and career development
- Create a clear charge for self and others in pursuit of operations and talent goals and build an aligned plan to reach those goals that is grounded in naming and shepherding the resources necessary to find success
- Build authentic, deep relationships across the organization in order to keep a pulse on the organizational health and ensure that the vision and approach to our work are responsive to the needs of the organization and the staff who work here
- Work with the Boards of Directors and the various board committees to facilitate ongoing engagement with the organization’s work and overall strategy
- Organizational Operations Management
- Partner with the Executive Director to operationalize and support their vision for the annual strategic planning process
- Partner with the Executive Director to operationalize and support their vision for key meetings (leadership team, operations meeting, team retreats, board meetings, etc.)
- Collaborate with the Managing Director of External Affairs to ensure allocation of resources, short-term strategic execution, and long-term strategic planning
- Manage institutional knowledge management, including both systems/processes and strategy that is grounded in smart prioritization
- Organization Culture-Building & Employee Experience:
- Serve as the strategic leader for support for all aspects of employee wellness
- Develop relationships with all employees and advise on HR, cultural, and other organizational concerns
- Ensure the organization’s core values are woven into the internal structure and nurture a positive organizational culture by communicating policies, guidelines, and positions to all employees in a timely manner
- Serve as a member of the leadership team
- Monitor and advance organizational performance so we are consistently achieving goals that advance our strategic plan
- Collaborate with the Leadership Team to share ideas, feedback, and advice on org-wide initiatives and to seek input on the initiatives you are leading
- Reinforce our culture and values by modeling our core values, collaborating with the Leadership Team to strengthen our organizational culture, and creating space for shared reflection and learning
What you’ve accomplished (required):
- Bachelor’s Degree in HR or related field, Master’s Degree strongly preferred
- At least 6 years of relevant experience; in a union environment preferred
- Communication, decision-making, and interpersonal skills coupled with sound judgment; optimistic and forward-looking in all messages and decisions
- Other things you might have accomplished or would be excited to learn here:
- Demonstrated experience providing vision and leadership
- Detail orientated, logical, and methodological approach to problem solving
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent interpersonal skills – ability to relate to individuals at all levels
- Experience with union negotiations and management
- Skills you have developed and knowledge you have acquired:
- A strategist who is able to define and constantly redefine the organization’s operational strategy through thoughtful prioritization, disciplined and purposeful pivots, and contingency planning to ensure outcomes are met
- An adept operator who is capable of managing multiple functions in a concerted way, complex project management in a multifunctional division, and is highly effective at managing others through solid and dotted lines to outcomes
- A highly relational leader who is capable of building effective relationships at every level in the organization and with all external stakeholders
- A team leader who enjoys managing, coaching, and developing staff members
- A values driven and empathetic professional who will find success at Equality California
Equality California has partnered with RCG Talent Solutions on our search for the Managing Director of Operations. Please follow the link to submit your application and direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
RELEVANT POLICIES AT EQUALITY CALIFORNIA
Equality California is an equal employment opportunity employer. Equality California does not make employment decisions or discriminate based on protected characteristics including, but not limited to, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sex, gender (including gender identity and/or gender expression), sexual orientation, age, physical or mental handicaps, veteran status, or genetic information as prescribed by applicable local, state, and federal law. We strongly encourage diverse candidates to apply, including, but not limited to, women, people of color, people of diverse gender identities, and non-LGBTQ+ allies.
Qualified Applicants with Criminal Histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the California Consumer Reporting Agencies Act and Los Angeles’s Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.