Director of Human Resources
- 27 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Equality California is the nation’s largest statewide lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer+ (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization with over 900,000 members. Equality California brings the voices of LGBTQ+ people and allies to institutions of power in California and across the United States, striving to create a world that is healthy, just, and fully equal for all LGBTQ+ people. We advance civil rights and social justice by inspiring, advocating, and mobilizing through an inclusive movement that works tirelessly on behalf of those we serve. For more than 20 years, Equality California has been fighting for full, lived LGBTQ+ equality in a number of ways: electing pro-equality leaders up and down the ballot; passing pro-equality legislation in California, Nevada and Washington, DC; and fighting for LGBTQ+ civil rights and social justice in the courtroom.
Equality California Institute is a 501(c)(3) organization that has a parallel mission to Equality California, its 501(c)(4) counterpart. Equality California Institute works to achieve full, lived LGBTQ+ equality by reducing disparities in LGBTQ+ health and well-being, developing a pipeline of LGBTQ+ leaders and increasing civic participation within the LGBTQ+ community.
About this job
Equality California is hiring an experienced, high-performing Director of Human Resources to develop and lead all human resource functional areas, including benefits administration, talent acquisition and retention, compensation and performance appraisal, leadership development, and workforce culture. Additionally, the Director of Human Resources will manage several organizational administrative responsibilities, including facilities management, contract and vendor relationships, and technology consultants.
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for all areas of the employee experience while developing and improving Equality California culture. This position supports a partially unionized workforce and is pivotal in helping to ensure Equality California employees feel supported and enjoy working at the organization. The Director of Human Resources will report to the Managing Director of Operations and will manage an Administrative Manager.
The ideal candidate must be a strong HR practitioner. Candidates should have at least 2+ years of direct management with 8+ years of HR experience including – HR functional and strategic skills, relationship building, policy creation, coaching, mentoring, and culture development. Candidates should have demonstrated success in managing and growing HR functions.
Location: Remote candidates will be considered for this position.
Roles & responsibilities
The Director of Human Resources’ primary responsibilities include:
- HR Management & Administration Support
- Manage outside benefit administrators and other HR supporting contractors
- Maintain accurate administrative and personnel files
- Maintain employee handbook with new and developing legislature and policies; review and update all HR, organizational, and insurance related policies and protocols as necessary
- Manage the state charitable solicitation registration process, including registration, renewal, and compliance
- Conduct assessment and renewal of organizational insurance policies, including general liability, etc.
- Lead key administrative projects related to office, technology, facilities, and other duties as assigned
- Culture-Building & Employee Experience
- Design and implement culture programs that improve office dynamics and are rooted in the organization’s values as the nation’s largest statewide LGBTQ+ civil rights organization
- Lead the racial equity steering committee; facilitate meetings and develop work plans to support efforts around racial equity within the organization’s external and internal programs
- Develop relationships with all employees and advise on HR, cultural, and other organizational concerns
- Drive employee engagement and satisfaction through ongoing learning and development
- Ensure compliance training for all local, state, and federal laws
- Recruitment and Retention
- Lead talent acquisition strategy to ensure that the organization is sourcing, recruiting, and ultimately hiring qualified and diverse candidates
- Manage full-cycle recruitment, including sourcing, application review, conducting interviews, support reference checks, and offering equitable hiring recommendations
- Support new hires in a comprehensive and positive onboarding experience to ensure that new employees are set up for success and acclimated to Equality California’s organizational history, goals, culture, and values
- Develop and analyze compensation structure
What you’ve accomplished (required):
- Bachelor’s Degree in HR or related field, Master’s Degree strongly preferred
- 8 +years of HR experience with at least 2+ years of direct management experience (in a union environment preferred)
- Communication, decision-making, and interpersonal skills coupled with sound judgment; optimistic and forward-looking in all messages and decisions
- Other things you might have accomplished or would be excited to learn here:
- Demonstrated experience providing vision and leadership
- Detail oriented, logical, and methodological approach to problem solving
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills – ability to relate to individuals at all levels from diverse backgrounds
- Experience with union negotiations and management
Skills you have developed and knowledge you have acquired:
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees
- Ability to prioritize tasks and delegate them when appropriate to meet deadlines and expectations
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations
- Excellent presentation skills; ability to present and facilitate employee trainings and culture initiatives
- Supervisory and people management experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Workspace
Equality California has partnered with RCG Talent Solutions on our search for the Director of Human Resources. Please follow this link to submit your application and direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.