- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
As advocates for gender and racial justice, EmpowHer Institute offers a safe, inclusive, and supportive space for girls to thrive. We serve to combat the systemic inequities girls of color face and advance economic equity.
EmpowHer Institute partners with Title I middle schools in marginalized communities to deliver our EmpowHer Girls Academy Program to 500+ girls annually. The Academy is fully integrated into the school day as a gender-responsive enrichment class for 7th and 8th graders at our partner school sites. The class is comprised of three primary components: (1) social and emotional learning (SEL) centric curriculum, (2) mentorship from professional women, and (3) field trips and immersive learning programs. This program aims to empower teen girls by giving them the tools they need to cope with challenges, overcome trauma, engage in school, and remain on track to graduate.
EmpowHer Leaders Academy is our program high school girls. Serving 50+ teen girls, ages 14-18, attending Title I schools in Los Angeles and surrounding areas. EmpowHer Leaders Academy has four components: (1) social justice awareness and advocacy; (2) mentorship; (3) workforce development, primarily in fields where women of color are underrepresented; (4) college, career, and cultural field trips. EmpowHer Leaders Academy is a 10-month program that meets for two hours every Saturday. EmpowHer Leaders Academy provides a safe space where girls share experiences, build relationships and learn to make informed decisions. This program aims to empower teen girls to by providing them with the resources and skills to navigate the systemic barriers women of color often face in school and the workplace and break generational cycles of poverty.
EmpowHer Institute is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
About this job
EmpowHer Institute has an exciting opportunity for an individual who has a dynamic personality and demonstrated passion for serving youth in marginalized communities. We are seeking a full-time Academy Instructor for our EmpowHer Girls Academy and EmpowHer Leaders Academy programs. Academy Instructor will be responsible for facilitating our program curricula to cohorts of 15-20 girls, at multiple sites. Additionally, Academy Instructor will build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders – school administrators, students, parents and mentors. Due to the global pandemic, all programs are currently facilitated virtually and will reconvene in-person in September 2021.
We will be hiring one (1) candidate for this position.
- Full-time (40 hrs a week) Exempt: $54,100 annual salary
- Benefits include paid holidays and vacation, Simple IRA with employer match, medical, dental, vision, and a range of professional development opportunities
- Women and BIPOC individuals encouraged to apply.
- EmpowHer Institute is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. All are encouraged to apply and welcomed without judgement.
Roles & responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the Academy Instructor will:
- Facilitate EmpowHer Girls Academy to cohorts of 15-20 girls, ages 11-14, at partner school sites on weekdays (days and times vary by school site)
- Facilitate EmpowHer Leaders Academy to cohorts of 15-20 girls, ages 14-18, at a central location on Saturdays
- Utilize gender responsive, trauma-informed, culturally inclusive curricula provided by EmpowHer Institute
- Create a supportive environment where teen girls feel safe and are comfortable discussing issues that are personal and sensitive
- Program Development/Evaluation
- Contribute to the revision and development of curricula
- Work closely with Program Manager to evaluate program implementation and/or activities
- Contribute new ideas to the overall implementation and evaluation of the program/services
- Collect quantitative and qualitative program data
- Relation Development
- Demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to the workplace values of cultural inclusiveness, gender and racial justice, respect, caring, support, effective communication, teamwork & collaboration, accountability and responsibility; practice these values in relation with internal and external stakeholders
- Work collaboratively with staff and participate fully in the team process
- Build positive relationships with stakeholders (school administrators and staff, program participants, parents, mentors and community partners)
- Communicate with mentors, program participants, parents, and staff regarding program
- Track attendance and participation of program participants and mentors
- Prepare and submit documentation and reports in a timely manner
- The ideal candidate is one who is committed to the mission of EmpowHer Institute, experienced serving youth in marginalized communities, passionate about fostering the whole child, has a dynamic personality, is creative, is comfortable around diverse stakeholders, believes in youth leadership and will listen to the voice of the girls we serve, and has excellent interpersonal communications skills.
- College degree (preferred, but can be substituted for experience)
- Must pass LiveScan criminal background check facilitated by the LA County Department of Probation
- Must submit negative TB test results
- 2+ years of experience working with teen girls, ages 11-18
- 2+ years of experience working with marginalized communities
- 3+ years of experience as an instructor with strong classroom management skills
- Comfortable using ZOOM to facilitate virtual classes until it is safe to return to in-person instruction
- Must have dependable transportation and a valid California Drivers License
- Must be able to work Weekdays 9:00am – 5:30pm and Saturday 10am-1pm You will not work more than 40 hours a week.
- Bi-lingual (English and Spanish) not required, but desirable
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter and resume to Keyonna Keith, Director of Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: ACADEMY INSTRUCTOR. Applications without cover letter and resume will not be considered.
EmpowHer Institute® is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Women and BIPOC encouraged to apply.