STEM Program Instructor
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles, CA
- Closing date
About this organization
DIY Girls is a non-profit organization hosting after school STEM programs with a mission to increase girls’ interest and success in technology, engineering and making through innovative educational experiences and mentor relationships.
About this job
The STEM Program Instructor receives training to engage 5th or 6th-8th grade participants in creative projects that develop their technical and problem-solving skills. This is a great opportunity to gain real life, classroom teaching experience. Two positions are available (elementary and middle school).
The STEM Program Instructor will work closely with Program Coordinators & Instructional Aides to ensure quality in:
- Preparing & delivering engaging curriculum centered around creative problem solving and making
- Direct instruction and Program facilitation
Salary Range: $50k - $54k
Hours: Full-Time/Non-Exempt, 40 hours per week
Benefits: Vacation Time; Sick Time; Personal Time; Parental Leave; Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance; 401(k); 13 Paid Holidays
Location: Hybrid (remote & in-person); Office in Pacoima & Schools in the Northeast San Fernando Valley
Roles & responsibilities
- Lesson plan on a weekly basis with a Program Coordinator
- Lead lessons & enrichment activities for 25-30 students in the DIY Girls after-school program
- Prepare training materials & lead training sessions for Instructional Aides
- Plan, guide & support students through the creation and troubleshooting of their hands-on projects
- Cultivate a fun & safe environment that promotes social emotional learning and respect among diverse learners
- Establish a classroom environment where students are encouraged to take risks and contribute their ideas
- Engage with parents to increase active involvement in student learning & participation
- Other duties as assigned with a primary focus on program instruction and student project development
All candidates should have a passion for empowering young women and girls from historically underrepresented communities, excellent organization skills, consistency and reliability. Additional qualifications include:
- Bachelor's Degree
- Independent, results-oriented, self-starter
- Interest in education, technology, engineering, coding and hands-on DIY projects
- Strong public speaker/presenter
- Classroom management skills that empower students
- Experience in Education and working with youth
- Conflict Resolution Skills
- Fluent in Spanish
Must be able to lift, push, or pull up to 15-20 pounds at times
As part of the efforts of the Los Angeles Unified School District (District) to provide the safest possible environment in which to learn and work, all district employees, partners, vendors and other adults who provide services on district property, or directly to district students, are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All DIY Girls employees who will be working at any LAUSD site must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 per LAUSD’s guidelines.
Interested applicants should email their resume & cover letter to email@example.com by Monday, June 20, 2022. Two positions are available (5th grade instructor & middle school instructor). Those with a preference should indicate that in their cover letter.
DIY Girls is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of DIY Girls to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.