Vice President of Development
- 25 days ago
- Employment type
- Santa Ana, CA
- Closing date
About this organization
ABOUT DISCOVERY CUBE
For 35 years, the Discovery Cube has been working to make a positive difference across Southern California. The Discovery Cube’s core initiatives to further the impact of science education include STEM proficiency, early childhood education, healthy living, and environmental stewardship. Discovery Cube offers hands-on science education that delights, challenges, and encourages kids. These future-forward initiatives inspire educators, their students, and all of us committed to learning for life.
Bringing a host of experiences directly to learners is essential to achieving Discovery Cube’s core initiatives. It is a mission that also includes empowering real-world applications by giving learners a chance to make a difference. This vision has made Discovery Cube a prominent advocate for modern science education over the years. Spotlighting science as a solution and as a force for good is what Discovery Cube does so successfully.
The Discovery Cube is one of Orange County’s largest museums and is ranked among the top 12 science centers in the nation.
About this job
Reporting to the CEO, the Vice President of Development creates the vision, mission, and strategy for fund development at Discovery Cube Orange County. Leading a team of six with an annual fundraising goal of $3.6M, the VP of Development will network across political, corporate, foundation, government, business, and nonprofit circles to represent the Cube and its programs in the community.
The ideal candidate is a dynamic and energetic nonprofit professional, who will manage a capital campaign for a $25M to $50M expansion of the museum, as well as two major fundraising vehicles, including an annual golf trip to Pebble Beach ($1M raised) attended by some of OC’s top CEOs. Likewise, the VP will work with the events team to oversee the Cube’s annual Gala, which is one of the biggest fundraisers of the year. The incoming VP of Development will create and implement Discovery Cube’s development plan, identifying and cultivating major individual and corporate donors for sponsorship and naming opportunities.
This candidate is an exceptional leader who is passionate about the mission of Discovery Cube and will support the development team and Board of Directors to meet the annual fundraising goals.
Roles & responsibilities
Development Strategy & Leadership
- In collaboration with the CEO, develop and implement a strategic and diversified fundraising plan that meets current goals of $3.6M and anticipates future needs and growth objectives.
- Oversee all fund development activities, including day-to-day operations of the development department, and the activities of staff and volunteers.
- Combine the richness and relevance of programs with the efficacy of best business practices, accountability, and institutional impact.
- Working in relationship with the finance department, assure sound fiscal operation of funding, including timely, accurate, and comprehensive development of budgets, reporting, monitoring and implementation.
- Establish vision for restricted and unrestricted funding sources, while developing strategies to approach appropriate donors and cultivation of prospects.
- Ensure that philanthropy and fund development activities are carried out in keeping with the organization’s values, mission, vision and plans.
- Lead the $25M to $50M capital campaign for the next expansion of Discovery Cube.
Staff & Board Management
- Directly manage Senior Director of Corporate Development, Director of Major Gifts, Grant Writer, Manager of Data Management, Development Manager and Development Assistant.
- Strive to create a cohesive, collaborative and supportive development team, while retaining, supporting and recruiting quality staff and volunteers.
- In concert with the CEO, engage the Board of Directors to meet the strategic financial and advocacy goals for the organization.
- Develop strategies to leverage Board member skills, inspiring members to actively cultivate their relationships and fundraise on behalf of Discovery Cube, as well as identify new members.
- Develop agendas for committee meetings and develop an annual calendar to cover all crucial development issues in a timely fashion.
- Ensure the professional accountability of the development team through clear expectations, positive and constructive feedback, weekly check-ins, and formal performance reviews.
- Serve as the chief relationship person representing Discovery Cube to both internal and external constituencies.
- Manage and broaden a robust major gifts, planned gifts, and grants program for alumni, corporations, and foundations.
- Identify philanthropic interests of both current major donors and prospects, leading all moves management strategies to provide donors with an outstanding experience of their time, advocacy and financial support.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit a diverse base of high-net-worth individual donors with the capacity to make six or seven-figure donations.
- Implement and oversee a new development reporting structure, using moves management methods and systems for reporting year-to-date activity and forecasting.
- Assure the design and maintenance of donor and prospects records, gift management systems, stewardship and informational reports.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintain accountability standards to donors, and ensure compliance with the code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct for fundraising executives.
- Oversee planning and execution of annual fundraising events.
- A minimum of ten years of progressive experience in nonprofit fund development, with a proven success in securing six figure gifts.
- A demonstrated track record of fundraising management and operations leadership, implementing development processes and systems to measure activity and accountability.
- A strategic approach to development, with a track record of cultivating and managing major gift and annual fund donors.
- A strong commitment to the mission of Discovery Cube.
- A strong interpersonal and communication skill set and demonstrated ability to work effectively with, and gain the respect and support of, varied and changing constituencies including staff, Board members, potential donors, volunteers, and others.
- A track record as an effective communicator skilled at writing and speaking; adept at writing proposals, solicitation letters, donor correspondence, and other types of materials to enhance fundraising.
- A creative thinker with an ability to develop strategies into action plans.
- Connected to, and aware of, high-net-worth community in Orange County.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
- COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary commensurate with experience and a generous benefits package, including company covered medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD/disability; vacation & sick accruals; 401k with company matching.
- Discovery Cube Orange County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal opportunity to all employees, applicants and program beneficiaries. Discovery Cube Orange County does not discriminate against any person because of race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, political affiliation or citizenship. All qualified applicants, including minorities and women, are encouraged to apply.
- Envision Consulting was retained by Discovery Cube to conduct the search for their incoming Vice President of Development.
- Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application process may contact Envision Consulting at 626.889.7905 to request and arrange for assistance.