- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Destination Crenshaw’s mission is to improve the quality of life and revitalize the economy in South Los Angeles through arts and culture. As one of the largest Black communities west of the Mississippi River, Destination Crenshaw is an unprecedented community-led project that will celebrate the 200+ year history of Black activism in L.A. Through education, arts, and culture, Destination Crenshaw (DC) will cement itself as a cultural hub to facilitate economic security and entrepreneurship for residents as a place-keeping and community building.
About this job
The Community Organizer will provide community engagement and organizing services to envision and execute engagement projects. Help lead DC’s efforts to deeply engage the local community in the Crenshaw district in an effort to generate input on improvements so that these improvements are community-informed. Broaden and deepen engagement through a culturally relevant engagement approach in this predominantly African American neighborhood.
Daily reporting for this position is to the President & COO of Destination Crenshaw.
Roles & responsibilities
● Assist with the development of an outreach plan that is inclusive of and appropriate for the Crenshaw district
● Execute outreach plan and engagement tactics
● Cultivate and build relationships with community leaders and members including neighborhood residents and stakeholders, local businesses, places of worship, schools, and school groups
● Identify and train community ambassadors and volunteers
● Provide mentorship and leadership to youth ambassadors, and help guide/coordinate actions of youth ambassadors
● Generate input about Crenshaw district enhancements through community engagements, tabling, presentations, focus groups, and other tactics
● Develop and promote events and activities
● Regularly communicate with community ambassadors through text, phone, and email
● Regularly communicate with the President & COO to report on input and feedback from the community
● Proven community engagement experience within diverse communities
● Ability to work independently and in close collaboration with diverse constituents
● Passion for connecting community members to the outdoors and/or improving community health
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office & Google Suite programs.
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to listen well, and positively represent the organization and its mission.
● Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple projects and stay on deadline
● Flexibility and willingness to learn and work as part of a large team
● Ability to work independently
● Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
● Please outline in your cover letter how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the Community Organizer position.
Only those being considered will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Destination Crenshaw is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.