Senior Consultant, UX/UI Designer and Researcher
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Compiler is a small, woman-owned software consultancy. Compiler helps service-oriented government agencies build open source, human-centered, secure, agile solutions to support the delivery of government services that increase equity of opportunity.
Our team specializes in building software applications around data for operations support and performance management including: data standards development, data engineering, data cleaning, extract transform and load (ETL) workflows, custom application programming interface (API) development and integration, data integration, data pipelines, data analytics, and data science. Our team’s subject matter expertise in transportation, housing, and homelessness provides depth and quality to the services we design and the applications we build.
Our clients have included: City of Los Angeles, City of West Hollywood, CicLAvia, LA2050, Caltrans, County of Los Angeles, and the California Community Foundation.
About this job
About Cal-ITP: Supported by the California State Transportation Agency (CalSTA) and the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) through a grant from the California Transit and Intercity Rail Capital Program (TIRCP), the California Integrated Travel Project (Cal-ITP) is a statewide solution to make travel simpler and cost-effective for everyone. Review our 2021 Accomplishments report to learn more about our work.
Overview: The Senior Consultant UX/UI Designer and Researcher leads user research and design for one major portfolio project, the CA Mobility Marketplace (camobilitymarketplace.org) in collaboration with the senior product manager. Responsibilities will include designing and executing user research efforts, user testing execution and synthesis, delivering design mockups for web applications, and collaborating with the engineering team on best practices in building inclusive and accessible solutions.
This is a part-time contract position.
You’ll collaborate with a small team of designers and engineers. You’ll have access to additional external support for data privacy, data security, and branding or visual design.
Roles & responsibilities
- Identify and select appropriate methodologies for projects
- Lead UX Design and Research on products
- Lead planning of and/or execute user research and user testing.
- Document your work including creating synthesis presentations for asynchronous communications with the team and client after executing user research or user testing efforts
- Design and facilitate design workshops with team, stakeholders, and/or clients as needed
- Coordinate with external non-profit partners responsible for recruiting users for research and/or testing
- Coordinate with admin to get compensation for users processed in a compliant and timely manner
- Ensuring that design processes and outputs are both inclusive and accessible
- Coordinate with product, design, and engineering to deliver complex products.
- Preferred qualifications
- 2+ years working in UX / UI design
- Experience working as a consultant
- Experience working with or in proximity to government
- Demonstrated experience working with data, data literacy.
- Experience in inclusive and accessible design
- Ability to work independently and self-direct towards goals not tasks
- Experience collaborating with product managers
- Familiarity with digital tools such as; GitHub, Figma, Google Cloud.
- A love of public transportation
- A personal and professional commitment to bring anti-racist principles into design practices.
- This position has no formal educational requirements.
Send resume, brief intro email and preferences for working (hours, time zone, etc) to email@example.com by July 1st 2022. Cover letters are not expected and extra weight in scoring will not be given to those that include them them.