- 14 days ago
- Employment type
- Full Time
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Community Nature Connection (CNC) is a non-profit organization and a leader in the efforts to increase outdoor equity across Los Angeles County. Our work is centered on dismantling some of the major barriers to accessing the outdoors. These barriers are an issue of equity and are directly addressed through our efforts to connect communities to nature, advocate for equitable access, advance diversity in park careers, and collaborate with community based organizations. As we strive to have a staff that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, we encourage applicants who identify as black, indigenous, people of color, people with disabilities, women and LGBTQAI people.
Why work for us? We value accessibility, community, equity, inclusivity, justice and shared leadership. Working for us also means a commitment to growth. You will have the opportunity to shape programs, and work towards a future where all communities in Los Angeles County have access to public lands, are included in programming, and are represented in outdoor careers and political decision making.
About this job
Community Nature Connection (CNC) is seeking an Executive Director. The Executive Director leads all aspects of Community Nature Connection, is the public face and directs the public voice of the organization. The Executive Director will act as the key decision and vision-maker of CNC, with specific priorities focused on 1) Organizational Development & Governance, 2) Empathetic Management and Supervision, 3) Fundraising & Financial Oversight, and 4) External Relationships & Promoting Organizational Sustainability. More on the specific responsibilities associated with these priority areas can be found below. A key responsibility of the position is managing relationships with key partners like the Mountain Recreation & Conservation Authority. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors.
Roles & responsibilities
Organizational Development & Governance (20%)
- Recruit, Orient and Develop new leadership for the Board of Directors.
- Facilitate effective and collaborative Board participation in organizational planning, financial oversight, partnership creation and maintenance, and fundraising.
- Develop and implement strategic plans with the communications team to uplift CNC’s work on external communications channels, including social media, website, and newsletters.
- Works with the Board of Directors and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, projects, and strategic planning.
- Co-lead coordination of the organization’s strategic planning process in Fiscal Year 2022-2023.
Empathetic Management and Supervision (20%)
- Promote a staff culture of feedback and accountability, model multi-directional feedback, and uplift work-life balance, safety, healing, and wellness in working relationships.
- Work with the Director Level Staff to revise and establish clear supervisory processes and structures for all full-time employees, volunteers, and consultants/contractors.
- Engage with the Operations and Programmatic teams in support of fundraising, finance, and organizational development efforts.
- Proactively identify resources and training needed to support senior leadership, staff and the Board.
Fundraising and Financial Oversight (40%)
- Oversee implementation of strategies to build productive relationships and generate new streams of income from foundations, government and non-governmental sponsors, and individual donors.
- Report to and work with the Board of Directors to maintain the financial viability of the organization, through high-level financial review and reporting, proactive analysis of organizational expenses with the support of the Operations team.
- Implement and monitor resources allocated for program-related activities.
- Work with the Board of Directors, Director Level Staff, and other key staff to plan and sustain multi-tiered fundraising strategies, including grassroots fundraising, government and foundation fundraising, and individual donor fundraising to support long-term organizational mission and growth.
- Ensure the completion of grant deliverables, including taking ownership of grant/donor report completion.
External Relationships & Promoting Sustainability (20%)
- Develops and manages partnerships with public agencies, elected offices, community-based organizations and other key stakeholders that impact programs that benefit underrepresented communities.
- In collaboration with Community Nature Connection staff and Board of Directors, leads initiatives to develop and influence local and state policies and government to fulfill the mission.
- Promotes and advances the mission of Community Nature Connection by participating in networks and coalitions of like minded organizations, representing Community Nature Connections at public events, conferences and advocacy campaigns.
- Sustaining Organizational Vision. Understanding and representing the political positioning of CNC to uphold our mission, vision and values.
- Strong commitment to CNC’s mission, vision, and values.
- Previous Executive Leadership experience, including managing an organization (fundraising, strategy, board development, human resources, finances, and systems/infrastructure).
- Proven ability working with multi-racial, multi-ethnic, multi-gendered, intergenerational communities.
- 7 years supervisory and managerial experience within a community-based organization.
- Strategic thinker who is good at making decisions.
- Team builder who is good at coaching staff to performance level.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong strategic fiscal management, oversight and budgeting skills.
- Ability to maintain relationships with external stakeholders and funders.
- Experience recruiting, onboarding and cultivating strong leadership within the Boards of Directors.
- Comfort and experience with public speaking and communicating with community members, community leaders, funders and the media.
- Possess a current Pediatric/Child/Adult CPR, First Aid, and AED certification or ability to obtain prior to hiring date.
- Advanced computer proficiency in Google Suite and Microsoft Suite.
- Excellent written, communication, and facilitation skills and knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Good judgment and decision-making when working with the staff, volunteers, public, youth, and children.
- Reliable transportation for travel to various program sites (rideshare and public transportation accepted). Note that not all job sites are accessible via public transportation.
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings, weekends, overnights, and some holidays and flexibility with assignments.
- Ability to pass a background check including fingerprinting; Reference checks will be conducted.
- Must pass a physical examination including a drug test.
- Must have a valid California Driver's License; occasionally required to drive a work vehicle.
How To Apply:
Please email the following in PDF form: a cover letter, a resume, AND a list of 3 professional references to Board Chair Miguel Luna at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please write “Executive Director Job Application” by 5:00pm PST on Friday July 1, 2022.
This recruitment is open until further notice and can close any time.
What to Expect After Applying:
The CNC Board of Directors will review applications. Candidates moving forward in the interview process will be contacted by email regarding an interview. 1st Interviews are scheduled for July 8th between 12pm and 7pm. 2nd Interviews are scheduled for July 15th between 12pm and 5pm. The anticipated Start date is August 4th, 2022.
This position will remain open until filled and may close at any time.