- 27 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Chrysalis is a nonprofit organization that serves people navigating barriers to the workforce by offering a job-readiness program, individualized supportive services, and paid transitional employment. We empower our clients on their pathway to stability, security, and fulfillment in their work and lives. Our philosophy is that a steady job is a key step in a person’s transition out of poverty and onto a pathway to self-sufficiency.
Chrysalis’ core employment services are designed to meet clients where they are and support them during every phase of their self-directed job search. Since 1984, Chrysalis has served more than 66,000 low-income and homeless individuals. Chrysalis operates its program through five locations in Los Angeles and Orange Counties.
About this job
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Controller will direct all accounting operational functions, handle the accumulation of financial data for internal and external financial statements, evaluate accounting and internal controls, lead departmental staff, and report accurately and efficiently to stakeholders, including senior management, as well as the Board of Directors.
The ideal candidate will lead with integrity and reliability and have negotiating, influencing and excellent communication skills. The Controller will manage self and others with urgency, practicality, and accountability, and will be a creative team player with a talent for challenging the status quo and coming up with unique ideas.
Roles & responsibilities
- Oversee all aspects of day-to-day financial operations and assure the accurate recording of all transactions in compliance with GAAP, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and grant allocations.
- Ensure timely preparation, review, and issuance of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Manage the monthly close timeline to ensure reporting deadlines are met.
- Review monthly, quarterly, annual, and ad-hoc financial performance vs. budget, and investigate and explain variances.
- Create, monitor, and review financial dashboards and Key Performance Indicators (KPI) in a timely manner to provide senior management with meaningful data regarding financial performance.
- Develop, improve, and enforce appropriate policies and procedures, and internal controls for the Finance Department and procurement functions.
- Continually monitor internal financial controls and cash handling procedures within the finance department to ensure compliance with internal policy and accreditation requirements.
- In coordination with the Chief Financial Officer, and senior management, coordinate the annual budget process, working with all department managers to gather information and compile it into a consolidated budget for presentation to the Board.
- Continuously monitor staffing levels and workload assignments to ensure there is sufficient knowledge and cross-training to accomplish goals, including training and succession planning as needed.
- Review and prepare account reconciliations in a timely manner; ensure proper accounting for accounts receivable, accruals, fixed assets, prepaid expenses, and other accounts
- Coordinate all financial, regulatory, and government audits, prepare/review audit schedules and respond to all auditor requests in a timely manner.
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting to ensure that all allocated funds are expended as planned and program resources are allocated beneficially.
- In collaboration with the Senior Grants Accountant, ensure expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program requirements, restrictions, and budgets throughout the grant/fund period.
- Ensure compliance with all reporting requirements of both governmental and private funding sources.
- Demonstrate a strong passion for Chrysalis’ mission to creating a pathway to self-sufficiency for homeless and low-income individuals by providing the resources and support needed to find and retain employment.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field required.
- Advanced proficiency with QuickBooks and Sage Intacct accounting software (similar experience with cloud-based accounting software will be considered.)
- Minimum of five (5) to eight (8) years of progressive accounting experience in a nonprofit setting.
- Outstanding communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, both oral and written, and ability to build as well as deliver effective presentations.
- Self-starter, ability to identify issues and resolve problems.
- Command of Monthly Financial Reporting process.
- A willingness and ability to train and mentor staff with a track record of handling multiple projects within strict deadlines.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Chrysalis offers a competitive salary. Benefits include: Medical and Dental coverage (up to 95% of employee premiums, up to 80% of dependents’ premium depending on employee plan selection), Vision Coverage (100% of employee premiums), Short term disability, Pet care insurance, Legal services, Two weeks of vacation, 72 hours of sick pay annually, 2 work free days for first 2 years (prorated based upon your hire date) and 1 additional day each year after that for a max of 6, 403(b) plan.
- Chrysalis is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals who are representative of the culturally and ethnically diverse communities that we serve.
- Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application process may contact Envision Consulting at 626.889.7905 to request and arrange for assistance.
- Envision Consulting was retained by Chrysalis in their search for a Controller