- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Founded in 1968, and housed in the original Venice City Hall building in Venice, California, Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center is a nonprofit public space dedicated to cultivating new writing and expanding the public’s knowledge of poetry, fiction, literature, and art through cultural events and community interaction. The Center offers a diverse variety of literary and arts programming, including readings, workshops, art exhibits, and multimedia performances. The Center houses a bookstore with the largest collection of new poetry books on the westside of Los Angeles; the Mike Kelley Gallery, which specializes in language-focused visual art; and an extensive archive of small press publications. Over the years the Center’s programs have nurtured a series of seminal poets, writers, and artists, and have helped to create, grow, and sustain Los Angeles’ grassroots literary community.
Our Mission: Beyond Baroque is dedicated to the artistic possibilities of language through cultivating new writing, presenting contemporary literature and art, and building a diverse literary community.
About this job
The Development Manager will work in partnership with the Executive Director to grow and manage our individual donor, institutional, and events fundraising strategies. The Development Manager is responsible for developing and stewarding donor relationships, and for increasing overall revenue growth. This position requires the use of constituent relationship management systems to develop analytical reports and to provide a deeper understanding of our current donor base. The Development Manager will also be responsible for overseeing the preparation and submission of grants. The ideal candidate will bolster our existing individual fundraising efforts while imagining and implementing new strategies to attract new individual donors. The Development Manager works collaboratively with the team to ensure that our donor-facing storytelling reflects our high quality programs and encourages giving at both the small, mid-level, and major gifts levels to support the organization’s mission and vision.
Roles & responsibilities
- In partnership with the Executive Director, lead Beyond Baroque’s individual giving strategy.
- Oversee and strategize the production of Beyond Baroque’s annual in-person gala, as well as other fundraising events.
- Work with the Executive Director, program staff, development staff, and board to identify and develop funding strategies to underwrite programs.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, identify individual giving prospects at the small, mid-level, and major gifts levels.
- Oversee Beyond Baroque’s grant research, writing, reporting, and scheduling process.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, develop board-related fundraising materials, and work with the board to implement fundraising strategies.
- Manage and improve donor data and reporting using our current CRM.
- Oversee and improve Beyond Baroque’s donor acknowledgment program.
- Develop institutional marketing, press releases, and sponsorship materials (digital and print) to support fundraising efforts.
- Oversee the drafting, design, posting, and sending of development communications across multiple platforms.
- Manage 2-3 annual fundraising campaigns across digital and other platforms.
- Perform any other reasonable duties assigned by the Executive Director.
- Must have either a college degree and minimum 3 years of experience working within a non-profit development context directly related to institutional and individual fundraising, data management, project management, and development strategizing, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CRM or database software experience.
- Experience with budgeting and projecting fundraising revenue.
- At least one year of communications experience in any capacity. Experience with Canva and/or Photoshop a plus.
- Social Media proficiency.
- Basic knowledge of Google apps, Mailchimp, office and project management software. Ability to act as a liaison with donors and the funding community to develop and sustain relationships.
- Commitment to poetry, literature, the arts, social justice, and Los Angeles’ diverse literary communities.
- Must be a confident public speaker to articulate our mission, and must have strong writing skills.
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and have a passion for fundraising
- Must have a strong commitment to teamwork and collaborating to achieve shared goals, and to nurturing a sense of community within Beyond Baroque’s circle of supporters.
Please send your cover letter, resume, development-related writing sample, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line: Development Manager. The position will remain open until filled.
We are committed to a fair and respectful hiring process, and will do our best to respond to every applicant. Here is an overview of the hiring process:
Step 1: Submit your resume, three professional references, at least one development-related writing sample, and a cover letter.
Step 2: Phone screen interview
Step 3: In-person interview(s) with staff and a board member
Step 4: Background & reference check
Note: Some of our hiring processes may vary, and not all candidates will advance to each step.