Credible Messenger Mentor
- 10 days ago
- Employment type
- Hourly, Full-Time, Non-exempt, At Will
- San Gabriel, CA
- Closing date
About this organization
Asian Youth Center (AYC) is a community-based 501(c)(3) non-profit organization (EIN #33-0383691) whose mission is to empower low-income, immigrant, and at-risk youth, of all communities, to overcome barriers to success through the provision of culturally and linguistically competent education, employment, and social services. We help youth succeed in school, at work, and in life!
About this job
Assist in the implementation of direct social services appropriate for incarcerated and re-entry youth and young adults and their families to help reduce their criminal involvement and recidivism and overcome barriers to success in their family, school, community, employment, health, and life. The position provides gender-specific services at female juvenile detention centers in Downey and Commerce. Services include but are not limited to: Case Management Services; Individual Mentoring: Family Engagement; and Restorative Justice Healing Circles. See program manuals and funding source Scope of Work or contract documents for more specific program information.
Roles & responsibilities
• Mentor, motivate, inspire, and empower clients by establishing a trusting relationship with client;
• Assist clients in navigating community resource systems through appointment accompaniment, transportation assistance, and coaching;
• Conduct orientation and enrollment of referred clients;
• Assist in assessment and the development and implementation of individualized service plans in partnership with each client that includes client goals;
• Assist in the provision of information and referral, follow-through, and monitoring, and remove barriers to help client access needed services and resources including basic needs, housing, health, mental health, substance use disorder, legal services, employment and vocational services, benefits establishment, etc.;
• Assist in the provision of individual and group client support services such as Individual Mentoring, Family Engagement; and Restorative Justice Healing Circles;
• Assess and respond to client satisfaction feedback regularly and positively;
• Maintain accurate and up to date documentation;
• Attend required meetings and trainings;
• Provide services on a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends; and
• Other related duties as assigned by supervisor, or as identified in program manuals or funding source contracts.
• High school diploma or equivalency
• Lived experience in the criminal justice system (candidates should have a personal history of incarceration and successful re-entry into the community following incarceration).
• Experience with providing gender-specific services for female juvenile delinquency population;
• A willingness to work with diverse communities;
• Good verbal and written communication skills in English;
• Computer literate or a willingness to learn; and
• Certificates, licenses, and registrations required: Adult, Child, and Infant CPR/AED & First Aid Certification.
• Six months of related volunteer or work experience with previously incarcerated populations, high-risk, at-risk, probation, foster care, and/or low-income youth and/or parents;
• Bilingual in Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, or Spanish; and,
• Experience with group facilitation, group presentations, and/or experience with home visitation.
Please send a cover letter and resume along with 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org