- 22 days ago
- Employment type
- Full Time
- San Pedro
- Closing date
About this organization
AltaSea at the Port of Los Angeles is dedicated to accelerating scientific collaboration, advancing an emerging blue economy through business innovation and job creation, and inspiring the next generation, all for a more sustainable, just and equitable world.
AltaSea is a new model for ocean-related science, business and education – a place where innovators collaborate to develop solutions critical to the survival of the earth and its inhabitants. Through a bold plan conceived in concert with the community and stretching decades into the future, AltaSea is positioned to make an innovative mark on the future of Los Angeles and the planet.
About this job
We are currently seeking a reliable and dedicated Custodian to maintain our facilities. We take great pride in the external and internal appearance of our facility and see it as a reflection of our business, so we expect our Custodian to take the same pride in their work. Our ideal candidate is careful and thorough, cleaning and tidying the premises with great care and an eye for detail.
Roles & responsibilities
• Performs day-to-day custodial functions.
• Sanitize and clean designated building areas, main entrances, conference area, and welcome area by sweeping, vacuuming, dusting, sanitizing and wiping common touched areas throughout large facility.
• Maintain an inventory of break room supplies and cleaning supplies and equipment.
• Notify Facilities Manager of noted deficiencies or need for repairs.
• Maintain and sanitize kitchen, restrooms, conference rooms, office spaces, common areas, food service areas, disposing of outside debris around facility, water plants, vacuum and shampoo carpets.
• Alert management of any site disruptions such as leaks, pests, broken windows, major loitering, and any potential hazards etc.
• Make regular inspection tours of the campus facilities noting unusual occurrences.
• Observe and report hazardous conditions to management.
• Watch for trespassers, fire, or other circumstances which could lead to loss or damage to property and equipment.
• Unlock buildings as scheduled and ensure all doors are locked as scheduled
• Assist with special events set-up and breakdowns.
• Make multiple rounds daily to pick up and discard trash and debris.
• Empty all trash receptacles inside and out, including offices.
• Note and report any malfunctions of equipment.
• Clean all spills.
• Submit requests for repairs or maintenance.
• Follow Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules and regulations.
• Promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
• Report restroom inventory to the supervisor to maintain adequate supplies on hand. Restock the supplies as needed.
• Sanitize, clean, and maintain restrooms throughout the day as scheduled and/or as necessary, including sanitize/ wipe sinks, mirrors, urinals, toilets, walls, floor, mop.
• Empty all trash bins in restrooms, common areas at the facility and main large trash container area outside.
• Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor or senior staff.
• High School Diploma or equivalent GED
• Basic Mathematical Skills
• Knowledge and prior experience in using standard sanitizing, cleaning methods and procedures observing all safety protocols
• Experience with using industrial cleaning equipment, including vacuum cleaners, floor buffers, cleaning solutions and agents
• Understanding of safety protocols such as disposal of chemicals and other hazardous items
• Requires heavy physical work; lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to 30 pounds. Physical work is a primary part (more than 80%) of job. Ability to stand, walk, and bend for many hours every day.
• Ability to perform repetitive motion for long periods of time
• Basic computer knowledge, internet searching, emailing, communications, printing.
• Strong attention to detail and ability to maintain cleanliness standard.
• Some professional work experience as custodian, janitor, or a similar role a plus
• Ability to understand written and verbal communications.
• Must pass a pre-employment background check.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• 3 years of Janitorial / Custodial work
Please send your resume to - HR - Angie Reed - firstname.lastname@example.org