- 18 days ago
- Employment type
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
ALMA Backyard Farms (ALMA) exists to re-claim lives of formerly incarcerated people, re-purpose land into productive urban farms, and re-imagine community as a place for people & plants to thrive.
ALMA utilizes urban agriculture as the means to heal, grow, and be fully alive. Through its programs, ALMA inspires the awe and love for learning and being outdoors. ALMA has three core programs: Peas in a Pod youth education, Job Training for formerly incarcerated individuals, and the distribution of food through the Farm Stand.
About this job
ALMA is seeking a passionate and committed person to join our team. This person should like to be part of a team, but is also adept at working on their own. This person is able to shift between different projects, and be an excellent communicator, able to process information quickly and get their point across efficiently. Demonstrates flexibility as it relates to program implementation, actively assesses efficiency and effectiveness to promote program development. Under the direction of ALMA's Directors/Founders, the Program Assistant works to realize the goals of ALMA’s Programs.
- Starting compensation $45,000
- Benefits include fully paid health insurance
- 401K with 50% employer matching up to 3% of compensation
- Two weeks paid time off
- A supportive environment that allows you to implement new ideas and to grow
Roles & responsibilities
The Program Assistant is responsible for assisting the Directors in the following way:
- Assist with farm operations, farm stands, workshops, trainings, group visits, and events before, during and after. This includes preparation set-up, breakdown and event coordination.
- Play a key role in ongoing activities and programs.
- Coordinate drop-offs and pick-ups of Farm Stand and program product.
- Provide administrative support to ensure efficient operation of the farm sites/programs.
- Assist with program planning and scheduling.
- Communicate with volunteers, nonprofit partners, farm stand partners, donors and anyone who visits the farm sites.
- Maintain and order supplies for programs. Run errands as needed.
- Provide tech support and training for team members.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the organization’s mission.
- Passion and commitment to growth.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Enthusiasm and ability to envision and implement new projects.
- Ability to prioritize workload and meet deadlines.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be a self-starter and highly organized.
- Bachelor’s Degree or relevant qualifications.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, and Google applications.
- Web design abilities very helpful.
- Experience with events and event planning helpful.
- Experience with gardening/urban farming is helpful.
- No language requirements, but Spanish is helpful.
- Valid California driver’s license and insurance.
- If you have practical skills (gardening, cooking, photography, design, handiwork, etc.) that is definitely helpful and please let us know!
- Passion and commitment to growth
- A good sense of humor
- Mature, thoughtful professional
- Strong organizational skills
- Solution-oriented mindset
- A friendly demeanor
- Loves building relationships; puts people at ease
- Team player with high energy, passion for the mission and interest in growing with ALMA
- Grace under fire
- Questions with curiosity and an open mind, and challenges with respect and new thinking
- Thrives in hands-on, start-up environment
- High confidence, low ego
We are a small organization, so everyone is called on to pitch in in all kinds of ways.
There is room to grow in this job.
You will be asked to work at least two weekends per month. There are occasional evening events as well.
- Ability to lift and carry materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, climb stairs and ladders, bend, lift, twist, kneel, crouch, crawl, pull, push, carry, grasp, reach and stoop as needed.
- Ability to work both indoors and outdoors.
To apply, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put the words PROGRAM ASSISTANT in the subject line.
- A cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position
- Your resume
- 3 references
- A writing sample
- If you have any other samples you think would be helpful - graphics, photos, videos - please feel free to include them.