- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Full Time
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools was founded in 2004 based on the belief that all young people––regardless of ZIP code, income, ability, or background–– are capable of achieving at high levels. Alliance is now one of the largest and most successful public charter school networks in the nation, operating 26 high-performing middle and high schools serving 13,000 scholars in Los Angeles communities that have been systemically oppressed. In our 17th school year, Alliance has a proven record of success: though 93% of incoming sixth graders come to Alliance reading below grade level, 95% of Alliance graduates have been accepted to college—including 73% to a four-year university. We strive to truly change the life trajectories of our scholars and communities, with a goal of 75% of Alliance graduates completing a four-year college degree. Now is the time to join our collaborative community to make long-lasting change across Los Angeles.
About this job
WHY JOIN ALLIANCE?
Our Principals are passionate and social justice oriented change agents, with an underlying belief that all scholars deserve access to transformational opportunities. As an Alliance instructional and people leader, lead diverse culturally responsive teams which impact the lives of our scholars and communities. You’ll possess deep knowledge of great teaching and instruction, and demonstrate engagement inspiring diverse communities to increase scholar achievement. Your understanding of graduation requirements, college readiness, scholarship opportunities, and career preparedness allow you to influence scholars' pathway to success. As a disruptive leader, you’ll develop and implement a school-wide plan to ensure the safety of scholars and school teams. As a people leader you’ll bring teams and resources in ways that matter to scholars, staff, and families.
WHAT ARE PRINCIPAL SUPPORTS?
Alliance Principals receive substantial professional development to continue to hone their craft, including monthly full-day professional development sessions, semi-annual network-wide leadership retreats, and ongoing coaching from Instructional Superintendents and our Senior Director of School Leadership. Principals receive robust support from the Alliance Home Office to enable their leadership autonomy, including support selecting and implementing research-based, rigorous curriculum and utilizing assessment data to drive instruction, as well as back-office supports (e.g., finance, operations, HR, IT, facilities).
Roles & responsibilities
WHAT WE EXPECT OUR PRINCIPALS:
- Instructional, Visionary, and Talent Leadership
- Drive instructional excellence by setting aspirational school goals and ensuring that teachers receive appropriate, targeted coaching and professional development to meet goals.
- Prepare all scholars to apply to, enroll, attend, and succeed in college by implementing a college-ready curriculum and supporting instructional activities, and by using multiple data points and ongoing data analysis to continually revise and improve the school’s instructional program.
- Supervise, coach, develop, and evaluate teachers via regular observations, feedback, and coaching as part of Alliance’s rigorous teacher development and support system.
- Positive School and Community Culture
- Create a culture of high expectations with a relentless focus on student achievement, college and career readiness, operational efficiency, and self-improvement.
- Maintain a safe and positive school environment in which students thrive, develop and grow.
- Develop a work environment to retain and develop exceptionally talented staff.
- Foster an environment of deep collaboration with families and caregivers, building strong relationships and encouraging their direct engagement in their students’ school experiences.
- Partner with the Alliance Home Office to secure and allocate the resources and supports necessary to maintain the school’s organizational health.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE/BE:
- A belief in and alignment with Alliance’s core beliefs and educational philosophy to prepare scholars for the intellectual rigor of college and the skills required for 21st century careers;
- Deep understanding of the nuances of urban school environments and school culture;
- Expertise in building a positive and collaborative adult culture;
- Instructional expertise, including knowledge of Common Core-aligned instruction, student-centered classrooms, personalized learning, and instructional technology;
- Ability to thrive in settings with autonomy, independence, and high levels of personal flexibility;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and cultivate relationships with students and adults;
- Deep belief in growth mindset;
- Exhibit respect and humility in all interactions;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Entrepreneurial spirit to thrive in a fast-paced and achievement-oriented environment;
- A willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic team; and
- Ability to develop and implement organizational systems and strategies
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university;
- Valid California teaching credential;
- Three years of teaching experience; and
- Two or more successful years of school leadership experience.
- Some Alliance College Ready Public schools require an Administrative credential authorizing service as a Principal or ability to obtain this credential in California.
Apply here: https://www.laalliance.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=2060881&type=d&pREC_ID=2266660&?gh_jid=3698877