Associate Director of HR
- 1 month ago
- Employment type
- Full Time
- Los Angeles
- Closing date
About this organization
A Place Called Home is a dynamic, non-profit youth and community center in South Central Los Angeles. APCH provides educational programs, counseling, mentoring, music, dance and art classes, fitness and health and wellness opportunities. As youth participate in our programs, they discover interests and talents and develop a better sense of themselves and their place in the world around them. Our goal is to increase the likelihood that youth will stay in school, pursue higher education, attain viable jobs, and become active community members capable of making positive change in the world in which they live.
Our mission is to serve youth and families directly and the optimal way to do that is in person. The majority of our positions require employees to work onsite at our facilities. We will always comply with or exceed government and public health safety mandates. Our priorities and policies to protect the safety and health of our staff and members may require special protocols on our campus and/or may require us to work remotely on a temporary basis.
About this job
A Place Called Home we’re driven by our core values— integrity & trust, adaptability, accountability, learning and development and compassion. These values guide us in everything we do and push us further in our growth both as an organization and as people, cultivating an environment where employees are inspired and empowered as we build and thrive together.Associate Director of HR is a collaborative partner that supports staff and management in all departments to create a thriving workplace environment of excellence and foresees areas of opportunity for improvement and advancement that will positively impact productivity and efficiency throughout the agency. The Associate Director will manage the organization’s compensation and rewards program to attract top talent and support and retain valued employees while ensuring that the costs associated with compensation and benefits are in line with the organization’s objectives, culture, and values and favorably on par with industry standards. As part of the HR department team and in collaboration with the COO, the AD of HR will develop and create policies and procedures to develop a workplace where employees can feel safe, engaged, inspired and productive.
Roles & responsibilities
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- HR Department Management
- Leads and directs the HR functions of the HR department including hiring, performance and development management, administering pay, benefits, and leave, and enforcing company policies and practices
- Partner’s with COO to understand and execute the organization's human resource and talent strategy particularly as it relates to current and future talent needs, recruiting, retention, and succession planning
- Manages and coaches the HR department staff ensuring legal compliance and implementation of the organizations mission and talent strategy
- In collaboration with the Training & Development Specialist, oversees the learning and development programs and initiatives that provide internal development opportunities for employees
- In collaboration with the HR Generalist, oversees the talent acquisition procedures, from sourcing to hiring, to forecast hiring needs based on business growth plans
- Develops, implements, and evaluates ongoing HR policies, programs, functions and activities
- Employee Relations and Retention
- Analyze statistical data and reports to identify and determine causes of personnel grievances and develop recommendations for improvement of organization's personnel policies and practices.
- Develop and recommend solutions to employee relations issues, including performance, misconduct, conflict, and workplace accommodations; assess risk and escalate issues when necessary
- Develop, implement and evaluate employee retention programs; stay interviews, critical needs interviews & exit interviews
- Collaborate with managers in preparation of job descriptions to ensure responsibilities and messaging aligns with the mission of the organization
- Support and guide managers in coaching conversations to make sure they are working on developing and coaching their direct reports
- Assist with the management of the Employee Engagement Committee (EEC) to implement staff initiatives that promote wellness, team building and inclusive employee experiences
- Manage and conduct employee periodic surveys to evaluate/identify needs/changes for the organization
- Lead initiatives regarding employee retention programs
- Conduct exit interviews and work with the Sr. Director of Systems & Operations to evaluate data and identify gaps and common themes.
- Compensation & Benefits
- Manage, evaluate and prepare compensation and benefits programs including annual renewals and broker/carrier interfaces; health, dental, vision, Life Insurance, 401K plan & supplemental benefits.
- Conduct salary and labor market research to define benchmarks and ensure pay ranges are in alignment with required state and federal requirements as well as the non-profit sector
- Educate new and current employees of benefits available to them through informational benefit meetings.
- Manage & process worker’s compensation claims
- In collaboration with the Director of Building & Safety Operations, evaluate worker’s comp claims to prevent future occurrences
- Guide employee’s & supervisor’s through navigating the leave of absence procedures
- Process Employment Development Department (EDD) paperwork; garnishments, employment verifications, disability, unemployment claims, etc.
- Manage COBRA administration along with the third party administrator; new hire notices and terminations
- Process qualifying events; enrollments, changes, and terminations of benefits through Paycom
- Provide assistance and support to employees with benefits claims and concerns
- Prepare required annual reports & notices (ACA, 401K, Medical, etc.)
- Research, recommend and develop innovative and leading edge benefits for employees, e.g. credit unions to support home and vehicle acquisitions, etc.
- Communicate updates and changes to employees accordingly
- Stay informed on California and Federal employment law and regulations and maintain employee handbook in compliance
- Provide mentorship and guidance to the leadership team and managers on matters of HR policy compliance
- Serve as a link between management and employees by handling questions, helping resolve work-related problems and support management by providing human resources advice, counsel, and decisions
- Evaluate and analyze job descriptions classifications to ensure compliance
- Ensure compliance of all personnel documents with regulatory framework (HR law, internal procedures, and policies)
- Partner with department managers to ensure job descriptions are up to date and in compliance with state and federal regulations
- Develop policies, processes and procedures for the department and organization
- Ensure leaders and managers are consistent in the application of policies and procedures
- Lead the maintenance of human resources documents, such as organizational charts, corrective action forms, employee handbooks, benefits and/or performance evaluation forms.
- Ensure that Personnel Action Forms (PAF’s) for personnel changes in Paycom are processed accurately and in a timely manner
- Conduct audits to ensure that all time sensitive documents are current (background checks, DMV records, I-9 documents, Trainings, certifications, etc.)
- Manage, updates and maintenance of the HRIS system within Paycom
- Maintain and update onboarding and off-boarding paperwork according to applicable laws and regulations
- Implement and enforce new policies and procedures.
- Conduct meetings relating to investigations and or complaints
- In collaboration with the Director of Building & Safety Operations, ensure compliance of DOT related regulations for current class B drivers
- Other responsibilities
- Responsible for maintaining knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensures agency’s compliance
- Adhere to the highest ethical and professional standards and values at all times
- Perform other tasks as assigned
The Associate Director of HR will be an individual who carries high personal and professional standards, is high energy by nature, and enjoys partnering with others to achieve successful outcomes. To be successful in this role the Associate Director will focus on achieving excellence of service and performance in the five core competencies identified by the agency: integrity & trust, adaptability, accountability, learning and development and compassion. As the Associate Director, they will be expected to excel in the five management competencies of: motivating others, communication, managing systems, leadership, work quality and innovation. The candidate will embrace the APCH culture of a learning organization and strive to constantly improve upon systems and services for the benefit of our employees and our constituents; and will be demonstrably committed to their own ongoing personal and professional development. Our culture encourages individuals to speak up, we respect diversity of thought, and we look to our staff to be candid with concerns and constructive suggestions. Together, we can continue to take APCH to even higher levels of excellence and service to the community.
- Technical and Performance Skills
- Excellent Oral and Written Communication
- Customer Service
- Time Management
- Ability to multitask
- Dedicated to excellence
- Innovative and Creative
- Microsoft Office Skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively across departments and teams
- Ability to multitask, organize and prioritize multiple competing projects
- Technical proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) Preferred
- Degree: B.A. Degree in Human Resources, Non-profit Administration, or equivalent in related field
- HR Certification, PHRca Preferred
- 5 years experience in Human Resources
- Experience managing compensation and benefits
- Experience coaching managers and executives
- Experience managing HRIS systems-Paycom Preferred
- Additional Information
- Must work well with diverse populations of colleagues, employees, constituents and donors
- Able to work onsite twice a week
How To Apply:
After setting up your account, please ensure to fully complete the application in order to be considered. The application will be considered complete, once you have submitted your resume, cover letter and have signed the application.