Service Learning Program Coordinator: Waste Reduction & Recycling Specialist
Senior Manager, Environmental Service Learning
TreePeople is an environmental nonprofit whose mission is to engage, inspire and support people to take personal responsibility for the urban environment, making it safe, healthy, fun and sustainable, and to share the process as a model for the world.
TreePeople is among the largest independent environmental organizations in California. Sustained by a staff of educators, foresters, community organizers and administrators as well as thousands of trained community leaders, TreePeople has played, and will continue to play, a leading role in mobilizing Angelenos, businesses and public agencies to work together to create resilient urban communities capable of withstanding the mounting challenges of climate change and water insecurity.
In partnership with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works, TreePeople developed and delivers the largest Secondary Student Environmental Education program in the country (Generation Earth), providing development training and personalized support to secondary school teachers and students throughout Los Angeles County. TreePeople’s Service Learning program catalyzes student environmental improvement projects, impacting more than 225,000 public school students annually.
TreePeople seeks a high-energy, creative and hard-working team member with excellent teaching skills to engage, inspire and support students and teachers to make a difference in their local environment through campus and community eco-projects.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support and coordinate TreePeople’s Service Learning Program to ensure the accomplishment of environmental service learning projects by teachers involved within the professional development program and to assist the school campus community in
- successfully completing environmental projects.
- Manage and implement school waste reduction and recycling programs and workshops including providing on-campus advisory and technical assistance on best practices.
- Manage program support through teacher facilitators, on-site visits, telephone, fax and email. Responsible for completing directed tasks of all education workshops (including, but not limited to Professional Development, Technical Assistance, and Youth Summit workshops). Assist in administering evaluation instruments and collecting program assessment data.
- Track and report all service learning tasks on a daily, weekly and monthly basis to ensure proactive progress and program evaluation.
- Produce well-written, professional memorandums and correspondence.
- Represent TreePeople and produce summary reports of meetings and events.
- Serve as support personnel on special projects.
- Support delivery of other TreePeople programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE HAS THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS
- Committed to improving the environment and equity through education and possess a strong understanding of urban ecology, environmental and equity issues and practical education theory. Preferably has personal experience in public school systems and an understanding of cross cultural communication.
- Proven and recent experience leading on-campus environmental service learning projects.
- Some teaching/leadership background with experience in reaching educators and urban teenagers of diverse backgrounds.
- Proven management skills: accountability, team building, time management, budgeting and prioritizing.
- Strong communication skills: professional style writing, reporting, excellent public speaking and strong interpersonal communications.
- Demonstrated success in handling high-pressure deadlines.
- Demonstrated computer literacy in all Windows-based programs. Salesforce a plus.
- Valid California Driver's License and reliable transportation mandatory.
- Spanish speaking is highly-desired.
WAGES AND BENEFITS
This is a full time, non-exempt, hourly position, with benefits.