United Friends of the Children empowers current and former foster youth on their journey to self-sufficiency through service-enriched education and housing programs, advocacy, and consistent relationships with a community of people who care.
UFC has been an integral part of the Los Angeles foster care community since our founding by Nancy M. Daly in 1979. Our early advocacy efforts helped establish the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services and pass the Foster Care Independence Act. Innovations in direct services span from co-founding the first transitional housing program in the nation for former foster youth to the creation of an 11-year education support continuum that follows foster youth from the seventh grade through the completion of a bachelor’s degree.
The Digital Communications Coordinator (DCC) will report to the Manager of Special Events & New Initiatives. The DCC will be responsible for development, implementation and measurement of integrated marketing communication campaigns through the creation and execution of social platform strategies, print, online advertising, email marketing, website management and online public relations to form cohesive marketing communication initiatives across assigned lines of business or organization areas supported by this position.
From Monday – Friday, the Digital Communications Coordinator will work from UFC’s downtown office. Some weekend and evening work is required throughout the year as needed and at major events.
Duties and Responsibilities
Digital Communications Coordination
- Build and execute an integrated marketing strategy with an emphasis on development of social media, web, and email components connected to the overall brand and in support of various events, campaigns or initiatives.
- Generate, edit, publish and share daily content (original text, images, video or HTML) that builds meaningful connections and activates community members.
- Implement digital/social marketing strategy and create content across all platforms (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Web, Linked in, etc).
- Manage and implement email and mobile outreach programs to engage and grow our base of donors and supporters.
- Develop and oversee analytics program for all digital activity to measure how our activity turns visitors into advocates and donors.
- Design and create traditional promotional materials and span of communication tactics as required by supported lines/areas of business within the organization to further campaigns as well as individual project initiatives.
- Maintain and update the website content in order to connect our online assets with a seamless and integrated approach.
- Scan media for news and information relevant to United Friends of the Children’s work and share a daily report to inform social media content decisions and internal communications.
- Become the expert about digital media communication trends and share insights regularly with the Development Team.
- Other duties as assigned.
General UFC Responsibilities
- Act as a role model within the organization to uphold and implement UFC’s organizational values.
- Embrace program evaluation that leads to excellence and impact.
- Build effective and empowering partnerships with the youth, community and each other.
- Create a fun and exciting environment that inspires learning and innovation.
- Communicate openly, honestly and with humility across all groups.
- Work together as one organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent experience) in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, Design, or related field. Strong evidence of experience in digital communications.
- Expert written and communication skills. Ability to create content, copy and messaging in variety of styles, voices and tones, adaptable to different target audiences, categories and branding initiatives: i.e. social media, newsletters, invitations, emails, direct marketing pieces.
- Evidence of excellent computer skills and design software experience: i.e. Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite: Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.
- Knowledge and understanding of Social Media platforms, Social Media analytics (Facebook, Twitter, Google, YouTube, Instagram, etc.) and how each platform can be deployed in different scenarios.
- A working knowledge of principles of SEO including keyword research. Highly knowledgeable in the principles of “Search and Social.”
- Possesses functional knowledge and/or personal experience with WordPress.
- The ability to work independently and provide self-direction and inspiration.
- Establishes and cultivates respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
- An understanding of and sensitivity to issues concerning former foster care youth.
- Experience working in a development department of a non-profit organization.
- Experience with Salesforce.
Comprehensive benefits package includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Life, ADD and Disability insurance
- 403b voluntary retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Mission-focused work
- Fun and inspiring work environment
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED