The LA Black Worker Center (LABWC) seeks a Community Organizer who is ready to make history while working with the first Black Worker Center in California, an emerging lead voice on Black work and economic justice. The community organizer will help build and sustain the membership base of the LABWC. Engage workers and community allies in winning cutting-edge campaigns. Ideal candidates must possess a demonstrated commitment to self-determination for the Black community and social change strategies of union and grassroots community organizing. Candidates must be able to empathize and build relationships with Black workers in various industries.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recruitment of new members through: canvassing in the local community, outreach at events and worksites, personal visits, and phoning; planning and organizing membership activities; consistently involving workers and supporters in the organization and increasing their commitment.
- Development and training of grassroots leaders to: increase skills and effectiveness in building the organization, taking on leadership roles and taking action; implement the LABWC leadership ladder to provide opportunities for growth and development.
- Development and implementation of direct action campaigns including: coordination and planning of campaign strategy; implementation of campaign tactics and activities to engage members and allies in campaign.
- Administration and planning, including: tracking organizing plans and results; preparation of written reports, meeting summaries, and related materials as required.
- Development of outreach and educational materials such as raps, flyers, and action cards.
- Fundraising: Assist organization in growing its dues-paying membership and support fundraising events.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic computer skills: (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.)
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Ability to work well with a team and motivate others to take action.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage time efficiently.
- Knowledge of issues affecting unemployed and underemployed Black workers, poor and working class communities, and of the Los Angeles labor movement a plus!
- Strong commitment to racial justice, workers’ rights, and Black community empowerment.
- Work a flexible schedule, some evenings and weekends as needed, and have the ability to work independently.
- Valid CA driver’s license and access to a car for work related travel.
Full-time position: $31K to $35K per year depending on experience. This position is for 6 months with a possibility
of renewal for an additional year.