Assistant, Mobile Arts Program –
Edible Teaching Garden & Culinary Arts Program
The Assistant of the Mobile Arts Program will assist the Manager in the implementation of LA Plaza’s Mobile Arts Program. This three-year grant-funded mobile program will bring hands-on experiences to local communities that inspire children and families to explore urban gardening, healthy eating, food history, and the process of garden-to-table.
Duties for this position include: setting up the mobile unit for K-12 student workshops; organizing and cleaning equipment and supplies; and facilitating hands-on standards-based workshops. The Assistant will also assist with data collection, interpreting data, ordering supplies, managing inventory, and report writing.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
The Assistant of the Mobile Arts Program will assist with the implementation of the mobile garden and culinary initiative, including the following:
- Support all areas of the program including, facilitating hands-on workshops, research, writing, managing program budget, and stock and restocking supplies as needed.
- Assist with drafting K-12 lesson plans that complement the program mission and grant objectives; as well as utilizes a variety of instructional techniques and strategies, with an emphasis on hands-on explorations.
- Facilitate hands-on experiences with a focus on exploration and discovery in various community sites including: libraries, parks, community centers, schools, and community festivals. Utilize a variety of teaching methods and learning modes for both individual and small group instruction; including students with special needs.
- Assist with collecting and interpreting student and program data. Assist with grant reports, budgets, and grant applications.
- The ideal candidate will be a passionate and energetic individual with the following abilities:
- Experience working with students (K-12 grade)
- Bachelor’s degree in education, environmental studies, history, arts education, or related field, or 1-2 years equivalent experience in informal teaching and educational programs
- Interest in food history and the process of garden-to-table
- Excellent public speaking skills with individual and large group audiences
- Must demonstrate cultural knowledge and sensitivity.
- Bilingual oral and written communication (English & Spanish)
- Familiarity with Mexican and Mexican American culture and ethnic diversity of Los Angeles
- Proficient in MS Office applications and familiar with database programs
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work outdoors
- Successfully pass background security check
- Able to travel to and from community sites using business vehicle
- Valid California driver license, reliable transportation, and automobile insurance are required
- Available to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends (as needed)
- Ability to carry up to 30 pounds
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
Salary at $32,000
LA Plaza offers a competitive compensation package that includes:
- Individual health, dental, and vision care
- Free parking
- Non-match 401K plan
LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.