Job Title: Communication & Public Relations Specialist
Exempt / Non-Exempt: Exempt
The Communication & Public Relations Specialist will work to define, coordinate and execute the overall events and media relations strategies and will be a key information source for all media contacts. The Specialist will manage the creation, organization and execution of internal and external public relations strategies, with the goal of acquiring more advanced recognition in the market, promoting products and establishing leadership throughout the industry. He or she will work as an integrated member of our Leadership team to creatively promote a positive public image of A New Way of Life Re-Entry Project’s& Becoming Ms. Burton’s products and services.
ANWOL/Becoming Ms. Burton
- Administer clerical duties such as correspondence, calendar and travel
- Act as a scheduling liaison – creating and maintaining calendars, memos and schedules
- Devise a public relations strategy for the author and their books
- Create and maintain positive professional relationships
- Develop strategies and tactics to get the word out about the authors and their books
- Build strategic relationships and partner with key industry players and vendors
- Outreach to national places of confinement (State and Federal Prisons, County Jails, Juvenile Detention Centers)
- Cultivate relationships with journalists in national, regional, and local media outlets and publications.
- Develop and manage media contacts list and relationships.
- Identify key media outlets.
- Develop compelling story angles.
- Pitch stories to both national and local media.
- Write clear and compelling press releases and by-lined articles.
- Field media questions and pitch stories to the media
- Prepare and update media kits
- Organize press conferences.Website and Social Media
- Oversee day-to-day management of website and other social media platforms.
- Lead the research, planning, and implementation of the longer-term development of the sites and social media, and ensure they continue to achieve their objectives.
- Create social media marketing objectives and goals
Publications and Materials
- Coordinate the production of all internal and external communications, publications, and materials maintaining consistency in content, appearance and format. This includes donor communications, proposals, and educational materials.
Design, Branding, and Images
- Develop, implement, and maintain a “style” in all ANWOL/Becoming Ms. Burton written communications.
- Develop, implement, and maintain, in collaboration with external consultants as required, a strong ANWOL visual branding.
- Develop and maintain photo library for use across a range of communication forms, with a priority on acquiring current pictures aligning with the ANWOL/Becoming Ms. Burton mission.
- Promote ANWOL/Becoming Ms. Burton events.
- Design production materials for ANWOL/Becoming Ms. Burton events.
- Represent ANWOL/Becoming Ms. Burton at internal and external events as required.
- Remain informed of issues and relevant policies in Social Justice Environment.
- Set annual communication targets and contribute to and monitor their implementation.
- Review and revise ANWOL/Becoming Ms. Burton Communications Guidelines as needed.
- Provide training for staff, missioners and candidates to support communications and public relations efforts.
- Develop, promote, and adhere to agreed systems and procedures across all areas of work.
- Analyze and measure results of Public Relations initiatives.
- Complete all tasks and projects assigned by the ANWOL/Becoming Ms. Burton Director according to schedule.
- Prepare and monitor communications and public relations budget.
Skills and Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree required in Communications, Public Relations or related field
- Minimum of two (2) years of Communication, Public Relations & Social Media experience required
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms (radio, television, print and any other digital outlets)
- Possess functional knowledge and/or personal experience with WordPress
- Extremely high level of proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project Management)
- Knowledge of Prezi and Adobe InDesign
- Must have experience in all media platforms
- Experience working in a fast paced Social Justice environment
- Ability to respond quickly to changing priorities
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be a confident communicator and presenter
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional printing/publishing skills, including ability to present concepts verbally
- Must possess excellent organizational and planning skills
- Superior project management and time management skills
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media
- Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to management
Salary: Competitive starting salary based on experience, with availability of medical, dental and vision benefits.