Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
Trauma Prevention Initiative (TPI)
Capacity Building Consultant – Job Description
Compensation: $36.87 Hourly
Fully Paid Medical/Dental Insurance
The following provides a general description of duties and a more specific description of requirements for the Capacity Building Consultant. Please note that the summary of responsibilities and required abilities identified below are not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
The Capacity Building Consultant will provide technical assistance and training to community-based organizations (CBOs) in the four Trauma Prevention Initiative (TPI) communities, including Westmont/West Athens, Willowbrook, Unincorporated Compton and Florence-Firestone. The Capacity Building Consultant will assist in building community capacity in the areas of nonprofit financial management, governance, operations and budgeting processes. Specific areas identified for these services include systems and procedures; financial planning; internal controls; assets and liabilities; and how to troubleshoot and resolve a variety of financial. Operational, and administrative problems, inclusive of, but not limited to budgeting, financial management, audit preparation, cost allocation, and fiscal compliance.
- Provides technical assistance and training to CBO staff regarding how to develop and implement best practice policies and procedures regarding budgeting and financial management.
- Provides technical assistance and training to CBO staff on using best practices to correctly identify, assess and measure deficiencies in their current financial systems and design control mechanisms to revise them.
- Coordinates and conducts budgeting and financial management workshops on quarterly basis to provide education and technical assistance to CBOs in South Los Angeles;
- Provides guides, checklist and toolkits to CBO staff so they can better assess their fiscal operations and develop a work plan to prepare for financial audits;
- Provides technical assistance and training to CBOs, using best practices, to develop their capacity in revising and reviewing budgets and budget modifications to ensure that expenditures are tracked and invoices are paid, and how best to maintain communications with funding sources;
- Provides technical assistance and training to CBOs, using best practices, to develop their capacity to prepare monthly and quarterly reports, collect and utilize data, prepare spreadsheets, and prepare progress and summary reports; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Master’s degree in Business Administration or Master’s degree in Public Administration from an accredited college or university;
- Three (3) years of experience in financial management for nonprofits, analyzing and making recommendations for the solution of budgeting for nonprofit organizations, including systems and procedures, program budgets and personnel, - one (1) year of which must have been analyzing , evaluating, preparing, and making recommendations for the
- solution of budgetary problems of a grant or a major segment of the budget of small and large-sized projects;
- Experience providing trainings and presentations for community stakeholders and organizations;
- Three (3) years of experience in utilizing accounting software such as QuickBooks, Peachtree, Sage, etc.; and A valid California driver’s license, proof of vehicle insurance, and reliable transportation or ability to secure timely transportation or ability to secure timely transportation for travel to a variety of sites throughout Los Angeles.
- Experience working with nonprofits that specialize in violence prevention and intervention;
- Ability to type, proof, and prepare correspondence with minimal supervision;
- Experience managing multiple project demands and deadlines;
- Computer literate and skilled in use of Microsoft Windows-based programs including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Ability to work in a professional manner, with courtesy and tact, and maintain confidentiality and security of documents and information; and
- Ability to work collaboratively with multidisciplinary professionals and partners.