POSITION PROFILE: LA STAGE ALLIANCE
TITLE: Communications Manager
Posted Thursday, June 1, 2017
Application deadline: 5:00 PM on Friday, June 30, 2017
BACKGROUND: LA STAGE Alliance is a nonprofit arts service organization dedicated to building awareness, appreciation, and support for the performing arts in Greater Los Angeles. Since 1975, LA STAGE Alliance has worked to empower artists and engage audiences of Greater LA through a series of programs, events, and advocacy efforts. All of its initiatives aim to serve and strengthen the sector — both at an individual and community level. Specifically, LA STAGE Alliance provides resources that facilitate audience engagement, collaborative marketing, community building, and professional development.
POSITION OVERVIEW: LA STAGE Alliance is hiring a part-time (30 hours per week) Communications Manager. This position’s main responsibilities are to maintain an annual communications calendar, implement a communications strategy for outreach to the organization’s constituents and the general public, and generate marketing assets/graphics (both digital and printed).
The Communications Manager reports to the Executive Director. Specific responsibilities include:
- Newsletters: Designing and sending a quarterly newsletter, sending bi-monthly Ovation Awards newsletter, developing/maintaining current contact lists (in CRM) and encouraging more newsletter sign-up, thereby cultivating a growing network of followers.
- Event Promotion: Sending targeted outreach (to Allies, members, subscribers, etc.) for events via email, Yahoo groups, and various networks; managing event listings on external sites, and sending out all promotional emails.
- LA STAGE Allies (Individual Membership Program): The Communications Manager acts as a liaison for individual members of LA STAGE Alliance; fulfilling donor perks (creating and mailing cards and collateral), communicating at least monthly with members, keeping them informed and updating them on company events, maintaining a master tracking list of Allies and perk fulfillment, and responsible for growing the program.
- Organizational Membership Program: The Communications Manager acts as liaison for organizational members, assisting the membership manager with adding digital copy of application to CRM member account, tracking new members for subsequent newsletter mentions, announcing new members on social media and updating member list on the website.
- Ovation Awards, Media & Sponsors: This position cultivates sponsors and media partners for the Ovation ceremony; does outreach and targeted marketing & keeps track of all fulfillment of sponsor perks.
- Social Media: On social media, the Communications Manager manages Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts daily, managing YouTube, Google+ accounts as needed, manages paid promotions for events and various organizational activity, and maintains a consistent institutional voice throughout all social platforms.
- Publicity: The Communications Manager is the liaison for the company publicist. The position also manages relationships with photographers and videographers for LA STAGE Alliance events.
- Advertising: This position is the point of contact for ad buyers looking for digital advertising or podcast ads, sends weekly ad reports to Finance Manager and cultivates new advertisers.
- Marketing and Design: This position creates all graphics, flyers, signs used to advertise events and updates the website, organizational brochures, rulebooks; while maintaining branding and graphics styles consistent across platforms.
A Bachelor’s Degree in an arts, communications, or marketing field, or two years of related experience is required. The Communications Manager must have graphic design experience, as well as proficiency in managing major social media platforms. The position entails keeping text and images on the website(s) current and generating graphics. The candidate must:
- Be proficient in WordPress, Office for Mac, Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) and Adobe Acrobat.
- Understand printing standards.
- Understand digital media standards (sizing, proportions, resolutions, etc.).
- Familiarity with Salesforce, PatronManager, HTML/CSS/JS a plus, but not required.
- Candidates MUST be able to pass a background check.
- LA STAGE Alliance is not able to provide relocation assistance for this position.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by Communications Manager. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the Communications Manager.
- Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
LA STAGE Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. We support, promote and embrace a diverse workforce.
COMPENSATION: Compensation to be discussed with top candidates. LA STAGE Alliance also offers a comprehensive insurance benefits package, which includes medical, vision and dental coverage for you (no dependents), with no employee premium contribution, beginning the first of the month after 60 days of employment. After one year and 1,000 hours, the position will be eligible for LA STAGE Alliance’s 401(k) retirement plan.