POSITION: Coordinator of College-Going Culture
LOCATION: 1055 Wilshire Blvd, Ste. 1850, Los Angeles, CA 90017
REPORTS TO: Senior Director of School Transformation
The Partnership for Los Angeles Schools is a non-profit organization created in 2007 to transform historically under-served schools and serve as a scalable transformation model for Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD), the State of California, and the nation. The Partnership dramatically accelerates achievement for students in the district’s highest-need schools by operating a network of 19 schools (15,000-student enrollment) in Boyle Heights, South LA, and Watts. The Partnership is one of the largest public school turnaround initiatives in the nation. Since the network was founded, Partnership schools have more than doubled their four-year graduation rate from 36% to 81% and have made gains every year on math and literacy assessments. The Partnership has also been a critical partner to LAUSD as an advocate for better policies and programs for high-need schools across the district. To learn more about the Partnership, please visit our website at http://www.partnershipsla.org.
The Partnership for Los Angeles Schools is seeking a highly effective Coordinator of College-Going Culture, High School (HS) to join our effort to improve learning and academic achievement for students in the Boyle Heights, South LA, and Watts communities. In collaboration with the Senior Director of School Transformation, Partnership staff, school leaders, and counselors, the Coordinator of College-Going Culture will support schools in A-G success, master scheduling, and in building a college-going culture. They will also work with teachers and schools through professional development and coaching.
Additionally, they will support special leadership projects designed to coach schools through their improvement process. The ideal candidate for this position will be a motivated self-starter committed to transforming educational opportunities for students in Los Angeles and will have significant experience in high school around instruction and/or counseling, building college-going cultures, leading professional development and coaching, and working with adults to reach ambitious goals.
- Work with the Senior Director of School Transformation to develop and execute initiatives at Partnership high schools and beyond; use data to track and monitor progress toward goals, and adjust course as needed
- Assist with the development of A-G success plans as well as plans for increasing student motivation to attend and complete college
- Work across schools to build teacher and counselor capacity around high school graduation and college success
- Push in at specific school sites to lead and support teachers in developing collaborative environments focused on student outcomes; work directly with teacher leaders across Network schools to plan for and lead data cycles with grade-level or department teams of teachers
- Work with a cohort of new teachers, new to the network and also new to teaching, around implementing school-based initiatives and fulfilling personal growth plans
- Design and deliver Network-wide and school-specific professional development and align coaching supports to the learning happening in professional development
- Facilitate ongoing data inquiries to determine progress and needs of school site initiatives; support school leaders and teacher leaders in executing data cycles
- Assist staff with implementing technology-connected learning programs, and interpreting data provided by these programs to inform instruction
- Conduct classroom observations and coaching conversations to support teacher growth and promote student learning; assist site leaders to observe for and support effective instruction of Common Core and NGSS
- Work with the Senior Director of School Transformation to lead coordination of structures on school based supports for leaders and teachers around instructional and school culture related strategic plans
- Participate as a member of the Academics Team and other relevant work groups to exchange information, coordinate activities, develop teacher support resources, and resolve issues or concerns
- Leadership experiences designing, organizing, and facilitating professional development for adult learners, as well as experience aligning highly impactful coaching cycles to the learning
- Experiences building college-going cultures as well as deep knowledge around A-G success
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, inspire, and build strong working and mentoring relationships with adults
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with administrative staff, instructional staff, and support staff
- Exceptional critical thinking skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Demonstrated ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced work environment
- A positive outlook, flexibility, and a sense of possibility in stressful situations
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to utilize quantitative and qualitative analysis to support decision-making
- Adult learning theory, facilitation skills, and design of professional development
- The Common Core Instructional Shifts, Common Core State Standards for Math, English Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Studies, NGSS for Science and Technical Subjects
- Use and analysis of assessment data to inform instruction
- Integrating technology, classroom observation, and supplementary materials
- A proven record of academic success working with students in historically underserved schools and setting high expectations for teachers and students
- At least five (5) years of successful full-time teaching experience
- Preferred: At least two (2) years of successful school leadership experience (coaching, grade level chair, BTSA coach, peer observer, etc.)
- An earned master’s degree or advanced degree preferred
- Ability to travel between schools in South LA, Boyle Heights, and Watts (must possess a valid Driver’s License)
- Spanish fluency a plus
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is a year-round, full-time position. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
The Partnership offers a robust benefits package including health and dental insurance, and a 403(b) retirement program.