Physicians for Social Responsibility Los Angeles (PSR-LA) is a non-profit organization that recognizes that the physical and social environment often determines health status. Our work is grounded in science, and the lived experiences of health professionals and their patients. Our work is also guided by our deep partnerships with grassroots organizations across the state and a commitment to principles of social and environmental justice.
The preferred candidate will be creative, dynamic, and possess demonstrated advocacy skills, as well as strong analytical and strategy development skills and be an effective communicator, both written and verbally, with diverse audiences.
PSR-LA seeks to fill a full-time Toxics Program Coordinator position whose primary function is the management of PSR-LA’s Toxics Program. The Toxics Program Coordinator will work under the supervision of the Executive Director and in close partnership with Californians for a Healthy and Green Economy (CHANGE) Steering Committee, Californians for Pesticide Reform and emerging coalitions addressing issues of toxics and a just transition to a non-toxic economy.
1. A graduate degree, preferably in Public Health or related community health fields. Candidates with at least 5 years of experience in these fields will be considered in lieu of a degree
2. At least 3-5 years experience in project coordination including working with and managing coalitions
3. Demonstrated experience in popular education, health education, and providing technical assistance to community based organizations
4. Ability to display leadership and nurture leadership in others
5. Strong facilitation, communication skills, and the ability to build consensus among groups from different stakeholders
6. Strategic, well organized, and results-oriented
7. Demonstrated commitment to PSR-LA’s mission and values
8. Deep understanding and commitment to social and environmental justice
9. Ability to work as part of a fast pace, close knit team
10. Strong writing skills and capable of authoring blogs, policy briefs, grant proposals, and reports
11. Conversational fluency in a second language, preferably Spanish
12. Experience working respectfully with base building organizations
Major Job Responsibilities
1. CHANGE Coalition Planning and Coordination
2. Pesticide Campaign Planning and Coordination
3. Health Professional Organizing and Engagement
4. Fundraising and Grant Management
5. Growing our Water and Environmental Health Advocacy Portfolio
6. Fundraising and Grant Management
Start date: Early September
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience. with guaranteed funding for 12 months. Applicant must be available during regular business hours and some evenings/weekends. Job may require occasional travel within California and out of the state. Valid California driver’s license required. PSR-LA is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send cover letter and resume via email to:
Director of Health and Environment Programs
Physicians for Social Responsibility-Los Angeles
617 S. Olive Street, Suite 1100 Los Angeles, CA 90014