Under the general direction of the Director, Events and partnership with the Director, Public Affairs, the Events Manager is responsible for the planning, management, and execution of community engagement events for United Way of Greater Los Angeles’ (UWGLA) Everyone In campaign. These events include both large scale community-facing “pop up” events as well as more intimate storytelling events. The Events Manager with work in partnerships with the teams that will create the event content and drive turnout. While flexible, the campaign intends to hold roughly seven (7) “pop up” events and ten (10) storytelling events over the next eighteen (18) months; combining to produce approximately one (1) event per month. The Events Manager is responsible for ensuring that all events reflect the Everyone In/ UWGLA brand positioning and an understanding of the target audience, driving community engagement and a connection between the community and UWGLA’s brand and the mission. The Events Manager will play a critical role in the strategic development, implementation, day-to-day management, and concurrent balancing of multiple events that are in various stages.
- Manage all aspects of Everyone In events and programs including: project planning, event concepts, budgets, communications, production, site planning, vendor management, event staffing, event communications, runs of show, event speakers, scripts and keynotes, analysis and reporting, and flawless execution day of event.
- Create budgets and manage expense tracking for events in collaboration with the Everyone In team
- Develop online and offline communications materials supporting events
- Create and manage accurate records of event participation and attendance, partnering with the CRM team
- Develop strategic relationships with venues, vendors, corporate partners and sponsors, key stakeholders, etc.
- Work with Director, Events and Director, Public Affairs on event strategies as part of an overall marketing and community engagement strategy, contributing innovative ideas, concepts and tactics.
- Lead event planning and execution of internal and external meetings in collaboration with the Everyone In team
- Work with the Director, Events and Director, Public Affairs to determine goals and track progress against goals.
- Develop a deep understanding of the Everyone In campaign, the work we do and building community partnerships, in addition to UWGLA’s brand, mission, and positioning to ensure that all materials leverage the brand and communicate key messaging clearly and effectively.
- Manage the development and production of event marketing collateral following all UWGLA guidelines – including but not limited to: brochures, invitations (printed and digital), programs, email and direct mail pieces.
- Effectively partner with cross-functional departments in the execution of events.
- Negotiate vendor contracts and pricing for all events and securing in-kind donations when needed.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Minimum 3 years of experience in the planning and execution of events
- Prior non-profit fundraising or experience a plus
- Experience managing a wide range of event types from large-scale consumer-facing events to PR events to major donor events
- Strong analytical skills including proven ability to manage ROI (quantitative/qualitative) and measure success
- A highly organized and self-motivated individual, able to oversee the timely and first-rate execution and ability to work under to pressure to adhere to tight last minute deadlines
- Self-motivated and independent, with strong sense of focus and organization
- Effective relationship building skills with key constituents such as company executives, board members, corporate partners and sponsors, external vendors, etc.
- Proven track record leveraging opportunities, managing vendors and motivating volunteers to successful execution of an event
- Ability to analyze event data and provide an analysis
- Ability to effectively work across functions, including Marketing & Communications, Development & Engagement, Community Impact, Finance Business Services, and Human Resources
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Enthusiastic team player with the flexibility to re-prioritize, multi-task and switch tasks fluidly
- Positive, can-do attitude with ability to hit the ground running
- Ability to creatively troubleshoot and work in a fast-moving, multi-tasking environment with numerous deadlines
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and create frameworks and plans to solve unstructured problems
- Must thrive under pressure and be able to accept constructive feedback
- Willing to occasionally work late nights or weekends during crunch times to meet business needs
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel) is essential