We’re seeking an experienced, informed press and policy pro that has a passion for educating the public and galvanizing support for an important cause. This is a unique opportunity to expand our mission to end women’s homelessness in greater Los Angeles through increased media exposure and systemic policy changes. You’ll work closely with women with lived experience, journalists, and policy makers to advance DWC’s strategic goals. Reporting to the Director of Communications and Policy, this position is an essential role in the Communications and Policy team.
- Build meaningful relationships with elected officials and their staff, members of the media, and community partners
- Write media pitches and press releases; cultivate positive relationships with journalists; run proactive and reactive press campaigns; respond to inquiries
- Monitor, analyze, and make recommendations on policy developments at the city, county, state, and federal levels with relevance to women’s homelessness
- Manage the DWC Advocates Program, training women with lived experience to effectively tell their stories
- Prep women with lived experience for media interviews, public appearances, and speeches
- Serve as a spokesperson for DWC and support the Director at public events, community meetings, industry conferences, public policy meetings, and more
- Draft talking points, op-eds, and other written materials for senior leadership
- Craft letters of support, calls to elected officials, and organizational responses to policy developments and current issues
- Create timely advocacy alerts and public education materials such as newsletters, blog posts, fact sheets, and reports
- Provide research assistance and develop policy documents (fact sheets, briefs, case studies, issue papers) related to women’s homelessness
- Collaborate with the Communications Specialist, Communications Coordinator, and development staff on content for marketing and communications materials as needed
- Supervise periodic Communications and Policy interns
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Communications and Policy
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Public Policy Proficiency
Required Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in public policy, journalism, media communications, or other related field
- A minimum of three years of relevant work experience (which includes PR/media relations, public policy, community organizing, journalism, and other communications-related functions)
Required Knowledge/Skills/Position Qualifications
- Excellent oral and written communications skills; ability to communicate the mission of DWC and our programs with clarity
- Excellent writing, editing, and analytical skills with ability to gather and synthesize information and perspectives from multiple sources into clear, easy-to-read, engaging formats.
- Knowledge of the Los Angeles policy and media landscape; existing contacts a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to connect with diverse populations, and to work collaboratively with multiple partners on project assignments
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Apps, and emerging media tools
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of homelessness, women’s rights, and public policy
- Highly organized and able to undertake multiple projects simultaneously, track detailed project tasks, set priorities, and ensure deadlines are met.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, problem-solve, and work independently.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced office environment.