Check out the finalists activating Angelenos for a better LA. Vote by June 29, 2018.
Public voting has started!
826LA is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. With this in mind we provide drop-in tutoring, field trips, after-school workshops, in-schools tutoring, help for English language learners, and assistance with student publications. All of our free programs are challenging and enjoyable, and ultimately strengthen each student's power to express ideas effectively, creatively, confidently, and in his or her individual voice.
The Time Travel Marts are storefront gift shops in the front of both 826LA writing centers in Echo Park and Mar Vista. The whimsical store sells unique items for time travelers as well as 826LA’s student publications. All funds raised in the store support the free writing and tutoring services 826LA provides at its centers and throughout Los Angeles at high-need public schools. The Time Travel Marts are central to 826LA’sfundraising strategy, brand identity, and volunteer outreach efforts. This also includes helping recruit students, teachers, donors, parents and the community at large.
826LA is looking to hire a part-time Time Travel Mart Clerk for the Mar Vista location with the following experience and skills.
● Has experience in retail and POS/cash-handling
● Works well independently and as a member of a team
● Multi-tasks and communicates effectively
● Has excellent organizational skills
● Has the ability to communicate to diverse communities
● Knowledge of basic computer skills
● Fluent in Spanish
● Believes enthusiastically in the mission of 826LA
● Must be available Tuesday and Thursday. Additional shifts may be assigned.
● Start date: Friday June 1 - Training June 1 and June 2
● Act as an ambassador for 826LA’s mission, including recruiting volunteers
● Perform opening and closing duties as well as daily functions of the TTM
● Follow all store policies and procedures
● Ensure all products are stocked and organized
● Keep store clean and neat
● Assist in production of store products and displays as needed
● Assist with store-themed events
● Fulfill online store orders and prepares shipments
● Reports to Store Manager
Please send the following to [email protected]6la.org with the subject line: Time Travel Mart Clerk in Mar Vista. No phone calls please.
1. A cover letter that includes a summary of your relevant experience and specific explanation of why
you are interested in working at 826LA and the Time Travel Mart.
2. A detailed resume.
3. A list of three references