Reports to: VP of Development
The Director, Fundraising Events is part of a high performing team, responsible for spearheading fundraising and cultivation events generated by the LA’s BEST City Hall Office. This position also participates in the Development Department activities and represents the organization with boards, donors and vendors.
- Manage overall event production including:
- Collaborate with leadership to develop and facilitate strategic events that meet the goals of the organization, ranging in size from small in-home gatherings to large galas.
- Oversight of overall budget and tracking, providing regular progress reports
- Identifying and securing appropriate venues
- Selecting menus, noting guest preferences
- Event activations (auctions, digital ad/tributes, text-to- give, etc.)
- Vendor recruitment and management (production, rental groups, A/V, caterers, etc)
- Oversees the design, production, and timely mailing of event invitations, save the date cards, and event follow-up letters. Manages the production of all collateral event materials including displays, programs, name tags, presentations, etc.
- Assists with the creation and delivery of event-related web content, emails and online registration pages. Coordinates with the Communications team to promote major events
- Assists with the development and management of event invitation and guest lists in Raisers Edge.
- Provides RSVP and attendance reports to senior leaders on a regular basis
- Creates, coordinates, and monitors event time lines and run of show to ensure that tasks are completed on time.
- Prepares briefing materials for internal and external VIP participants.
- Manage on-site logistics, coordinate event staffing and provide direction to volunteers and office staff before and during events.
- Recruits and manages executive level volunteer leadership, developing effective and active committees across multiple events
- Works closely with LA’s BEST/LAUSD Operations staff on all event-related activities that involve operations or program staff, students, families or school day staff to ensure all activities are developmentally appropriate and meet all LAUSD guidelines
- Leads and actively participates in the cultivation and growth of sponsors
- As a leader on the Development team, support in the training and development of the Development Coordinator
- Participate in Development Department activities and contribute as needed
- Bachelor's degree and 5+ years of professional working experience
- 3+ years experience managing special events with 300+ guests, with increasing responsibility, ideally in a nonprofit setting.
- Demonstrated ability to accomplish results through highly effective relationship-building skills and a proven track record in achieving fundraising goals
- Proficient with donor databases (Raisers Edge preferred)
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail, with ability to make, enforce, and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with technology and digital communications in fundraising and special events
- Excellent computer and digital skills, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- A flexible schedule which includes some nights and weekends.
- Strong commitment to the mission and goals of LA’s BEST
LA’s BEST: The mission of LA’s BEST (Better Educated Students for Tomorrow) After School Enrichment Program is to provide a safe and supervised after school education, enrichment and recreation program for children ages five to 12 in Los Angeles. Mayor Tom Bradley created LA’s BEST in 1988 in response to challenges arising from increasing numbers of unsupervised children throughout the City during out-of- school-time – especially within under-resourced Los Angeles neighborhoods that are disproportionately impacted by high rates of poverty and crime. LA’s BEST has grown from operating at 10 Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) elementary school sites to 197, and currently serves 25,000 children each day during the after school hours, and 6,500 in the LA’s BEST Summer Program each year.