POSITION TITLE: Director of Marketing & Communications
REPORTS TO: President & CEO
SUPERVISES: Marketing staff
Location: Downtown Los Angeles, CA (RELOCATION FEES NOT OFFERED)
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The Director of Marketing and Communications oversees all marketing efforts that promote Downtown Los Angeles (DTLA) and specifically the Downtown Center Business Improvement District (DCBID). The Director will be responsible for development and implementation of promotional campaigns, digital marketing strategies, public relations initiatives, and public and private events. Along with these duties, the Director is responsible for managing personnel, the marketing budget, cultivating spo nsorship dollars to support program needs, maintaining DCBID and DowntownLA.com brand design guidelines and developing corporate and community relationships. The position also supports the marketing efforts of other departments including Economic Development and Operations.
- Manages day-to-day operations of the marketing department.
- Develops annual budget, coordinates contracts and tracks expenses for all marketing activities.
- Identifies opportunities and builds strategic marketing plans for growing awareness of DTLA as a destination for visitors, residents, businesses, and investors.
- Creates marketing briefs to implement initiatives and measure results.
- Oversees creation of all collateral materials for the DCBID to ensure consistent and effective branding and communications.
- Writes creative and compelling content for DCBID website and publications and acts as editor for the organization.
- Supports the marketing efforts of the Economic Development and Operations Departments.
- Manages external PR firm to create communications plans that promote a positive image of DTLA; reviews and edits press releases.
- Manages external digital agency and stays abreast of new SEO and SEM tools to continually optimize the DCBID website (DowntownLA.com).
- Manages external Social Media Consultant to implement content strategy, review monthly social media performance, and create future plans to increase engagement and followers.
- Supervises planning, execution and measurement of digital and social media programs and campaigns
- Works with Board of Directors and committees to develop and execute objectives for the DCBID.
- Prepares speeches, articles, correspondence, and opinion editorials on various issues for the President and Board of Directors. Provides support to the President on public relations and communications.
- Represents the DCBID at designated events, meetings and presentations.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Liberal Arts, Advertising, Marketing, Public Relations, or similar fields
- At least 5-10 years’ experience in marketing/communications
- Proven experience in staff management, contract negotiation, budgeting and multiple project management
- Flexibility and willingness to work irregular hours, nights and weekends in support of District programs, events and promotions
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Self-starter able to efficiently execute initiatives and actively manage deadlines
- Excellent use of computer and all computer programs required to meet the above duties and responsibilities (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and others)
- Excellent use of grammar, spelling and written communication
- Ability to clearly communicate (orally and written)
- Experience with or strong working knowledge of
- Digital marketing strategy
- Analysis and publishing tools such as: Facebook Insights, Google Analytics, Google Search Console, Sprout Social, Later
- Content distribution expertise spanning owned, earned, and paid digital channels
- Empowering and managing subordinate staff
- Advertising/Social Media Outreach
This position outline is a general guide to the responsibilities of the Director of Marketing and Communications. This document does not create an employment contract and/or agreement, implied or otherwise. This position is a salaried, exempt, AT-WILL position. Duties and responsibilities are subject to modification from time to time, with or without prior notice. In order to perform the necessary duties and responsibilities of this position, the selected person must possess the skills, aptitude and abilities to perform all of the listed duties and responsibilities proficiently.