Los Angeles Neighborhood Initiative (LANI) strives to restore a sense of identity to challenged neighborhoods by implementing improvements that enhance the public environment, spur economic development, and foster local pride. Utilizing a nationally recognized community engagement model, LANI facilitates stakeholder participation and promotes public/private partnerships that result in catalytic community improvement projects.
LANI seeks a Director of Development and Marketing to enhance and diversify the organization’s funding opportunities and to advance LANI’s mission through innovative marketing strategies.
- Develop, implement and oversee a comprehensive strategic fundraising plan, working with the Executive Director to set priorities and timeline for achieving decided upon goals.
- Identify new foundation, corporate and government grant opportunities that align with LANI’s mission; develop an understanding of the criteria and priorities applicable to each funder and pursue promising leads accordingly.
- Manage foundation and government grants and contracts portfolio, including prospecting, proposal writing and submission, and grant/contract tracking and stewardship.
- Utilize prospecting tools to conduct research on corporations and foundations and maintain integrity of the database.
- Develop community relations and liaison with foundation and grant officers.
- Cultivate relationships to advance LANI’s mission, build impact and increase financial resources.
- Assess areas of growth and provide leadership in launching new initiatives.
- Provide staff support to Board of Directors and Board fundraising efforts.
- Prepare and present quarterly management reports to the Board, outlining fundraising progress toward grant/foundation support goals.
- Develop, implement and coordinate strategies to raise awareness and visibility of LANI through print, television, radio, web-based and social media platforms.
- Develop and produce all marketing materials, ensuring the timely and accurate production of all branded material.
- Ensure consistency of design and messaging for all marketing campaigns and communications.
- Update website and work with website administrator to ensure smooth operation.
- Lead the planning and execution of the annual LANI Community Forum.
- Collaborate with staff on groundbreaking, unveiling and completion ceremonies and other special events.
- Work collaboratively with photographers, videographers, graphic designers, printers and other vendors to execute projects accurately, efficiently and on time.
- Manage external conference calendar and submit proposals to secure speaking roles for staff.
- To perform effectively in this position, the employee in this position is required to have:
- Advanced knowledge of the competitive grant funding process as demonstrated by experience with identifying and writing successful private and government grant proposals.
- History of developing and maintaining strategic partnerships that contributes to the increasing visibility, impact, and financial resources of an organization over time.
- Profound understanding of foundation priorities and grant-making practices to make strategic decisions with funding requests.
- Demonstrated success in networking to build creative and mutually beneficial partnerships with the nonprofit, public and corporate sectors.
- Knowledge of fundraising information sources, research techniques, data management and evaluation.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills; superior writing skills including editing for content, style and grammar.
- Strong personal computer skills including preparation of spreadsheets, word processing and presentation software; proficiency in WordPress, Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
- Exceptional organizational skills; detail oriented and able to work independently to complete projects on a deadline.
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications and public relations strategies and activities.
- Demonstrated experience creating quality presentations, media campaigns, social media and print media, ensuring they are dynamic, persuasive and grounded in strategic relevance.
- Ability to develop and maintain a goal-oriented, positive attitude and be an effective team player.
- Ability to interface equally well with colleagues, the Board of Directors, elected officials, funders, corporate partners, LANI community members and the general public.
- Commitment to team objectives and LANI's philosophies.
- Interest and knowledge of the communities of Los Angeles.
- Ability to attend occasional early morning, evening and weekend meetings, programs and special events.
- Current California driver’s license and a driving record acceptable to LANI's insurance carrier.