LA Family Housing is Looking to fill a position for a Community Engagement Manager. As part of a 5-year strategic plan and capital campaign, LA Family Housing (LAFH) will engage a growing network of volunteers including community, corporate and government partners to enrich the lives of our residents and support staff by providing a range of goods and services that give strength and sustainability to the organization. The Community Engagement Manager is a vital member of a dynamic and integrated Development and Community Engagement Department (also known as “DevCo”), building an ever-increasing network of volunteer and fundraising support to the organization. The Community Engagement Manager is responsible for the execution of the LAFH Volunteer and Donations Program and manages four staff members.
Program Development and Management:
- Manage and lead the Community Engagement team, building team cohesion, monitoring performance, performing annual staff reviews and coordinating training.
- Oversee and manage four direct reports: the Volunteer and Donations Coordinator, the Programs Coordinator, the Programs Aid, and the Donation Distribution Associate.
- In partnership with the Director of Community Engagement and Events, develop strategy around cultivating and stewarding relationships to build LAFH’s visibility, impact, and financial resources, including through operation of the Volunteer and In-kind Donations Program. Manage a portfolio of corporate and community partners.
- Improve and codify programs for volunteer and in-kind donor engagement, including, a) prioritize needs and opportunities that maximize both volunteer experience and ROI for the agency; b) create consistent and scalable volunteer and corporate engagement opportunities both onsite and offsite (e.g. donation drives, third party fundraisers); and, c) outline roles and responsibilities of volunteers and staff
- Provide daily management and oversight, as well as team-based leadership, for the Volunteer and Item Donations programs and staff.
- Develop and carry out volunteer recruitment, screening, application, selection and orientation/training processes for volunteers. Maintain volunteer service descriptions for each volunteer assignment. Develop and manage volunteer policies, procedures and standards of volunteer service. Coach and motivate volunteers in accordance with organizational policies, increasing their understanding of the organization; its clients and services.
- Work with volunteers individually and in small groups. Assess experience, skill level and limitations of volunteers to successfully engage them in meaningful service.
- Independently orchestrate and carry out agency-sponsored volunteer activities and events, providing supervision and training of volunteers including individuals and corporate partners, small and large groups, covering a wide range of ages and abilities.
- Survey staff regularly to assess and identify needs for volunteer assistance and recommend the most efficient use of volunteers. Create a clear structure and well-defined volunteer positions with feedback from staff.
- Develop various services to be provided by volunteers and appropriately match agency/departmental needs with volunteer interests and capabilities.
- Collaborate with service staff and other members of the organization to support their goals by creating and leading small committee groups to support client programming opportunities.
- Conduct monthly Volunteer Orientation and develop volunteer training tools and curriculum as needed, including public education around issues of homelessness, mental illness, and other relevant topics.
- Act as liaison between the agency and the community, including but not limited to a) speaking to community and corporate groups to present information on agency history, needs and volunteer opportunities; and, b) volunteers and the agency to ensure program staff are prepared for arrival of volunteers and all necessary tools, resources and materials are readily available and volunteers understand details and expectations.
- Ensures that volunteer check-in procedures are followed and records of volunteer hours are maintained.
- Plan and oversee volunteer events from visioning stage to execution, taking into consideration budget and staff availability. Implement communications strategies that facilitate increased community awareness and engagement for the organization.
- Create and maintain a system for scheduling, reminding, providing timely information for, and tracking volunteers. Ensure the complete and timely collection of volunteer information for submission to database.
- Cultivate relationships with corporate and individual volunteers with the ability to transition into the role of donors and to engage volunteers in fundraising efforts, including special events. Manage all emerging relationships with schools, churches, non-profit groups, and individuals; and meet monthly goals of moving relationships into consistent volunteers.
- Support, recognize and retain volunteers by developing and implementing volunteer appreciation strategies, including thank you letters, social media, volunteer highlights in newsletter and other communications, and other retention and appreciation efforts. Design and implement a strategic volunteer recognition program with both formal and informal recognition activities.
- Research and propose ongoing improvements to volunteer services and program. Evaluate the impact of each event or opportunity and archive feedback. Contribute information and make recommendations to strategize volunteer engagement. Design and complete monthly reports to identify trends and strategically respond to findings via preparing and completing action plans in order to reach departmental goals.
- Research and identify community outreach opportunities such as fairs, church events, etc. and attend as a spokesperson for LAFH.
- Design curriculum and monthly service-learning activities for a youth centered year-long program. Recruit and supervise student ambassadors for a Youth Advisory Council. Lead monthly meetings and maintain a calendar of youth activities.
- Perform as supervisor of the Youth Action Council. Attend all council meetings, provide advice and direction, assure that council activities are aligned with our mission, promote activities and achievements of the council, and assist council in acquiring funding as necessary.
- Provide oversight, direction and evaluation for the acquisition of donated goods. Manage how in-kind needs are being communicated to the LAFH community/supports at large by collaborating with the Communications team.
- With Donations Distribution Associate, assess needs across the organization, including maintaining consistent feedback loops and positive working relationships with all staff.
- Research, outreach, and cultivate relationships with individual and corporate donors and community agencies, for the strategic solicitation of in-kind goods
- Be the primary relationship manager for these donors and set goals to transition in-kind contributions to financial contributions.
- Exercise discretion regarding acceptance and/or disposition of donated goods and maintain donor relationships (e.g. customer service) even when declining in-kind donations.
- Facilitates logistics related to delivery of extra donations to other agencies.
- Ensure all data relating to receipt of donations is captured, recorded and tracked.
- Research and propose ongoing improvements and best practices in donations management.
- Run and assess monthly reports on in-kind donations and make recommendations to increase the quantity and quality of donations going to LAFH clients.
Provide basic Development Associate functions and support, including:
- Support of social media
- Support of photo cataloguing
- Assist with data entry and gift processing
ACCOUNTABILITY AND REVIEW
Position reports to: Director of Community Engagement and Events
Performance review: Annual
Number of employees receiving work direction: Four (4)
Position titles reporting to position: Four (4)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Position requires a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three years experience in program coordination / management in the non-profit arena, preferably with volunteer services or fundraising.
- The ideal candidate has expertise and maintains ongoing learning in volunteer management, service enterprise, corporate social responsibility, nonprofit program development, community resources, grassroots/community-based fundraising, and other relevant fields.
- Demonstrates progressive management and leadership positions.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills
- Highly organized, self-motivated and ability to affect change
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Strong management skills including planning, coordination and supervision
- Ability to multi-task in the execution of simultaneous activities and events
- Sound decision-making capability
- Effective at oversight of large group activities, staff and volunteer events
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Computer proficiency (Windows, MS Word, Excel, Internet and Blogging)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Payroll Status: Hourly
Work Schedule: Full-time, 9am-5:30pm Monday thru Thursday; plus rotating Friday, Saturday or Sunday depending on volunteer calendar. Must be flexible and available nights, weekends and holidays. Must be able to reply to volunteer inquiries within 1 business day. Must be available by phone when not on-site during volunteer activities, including evenings and some holidays.
LAFH BENEFITS: Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Voluntary Life, 403B Retirement Plan, 529 Education Savings Plan, Long Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program, AFLAC Policies, AFLAC FSAs, Legal Policy, Employee Appreciation Program, Company Sponsored Employee Outings, 9/80 Alternative Work Schedule, Paid Sick, Vacation and 11 Observed Holidays.