Reports to: CEO
Supervises: Development Assistant
Status: Regular, Full-Time, Exempt
LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes serves the public by providing educational experiences through public programming and exhibitions that celebrate the rich cultural heritage of Mexicans, Mexican Americans and all Latinos in Southern California. LA Plaza opened to the public in 2011 in two renovated buildings located in the downtown Los Angeles historic core. Established by the County of Los Angeles, LA Plaza operates as a non-profit organization governed by a board of directors and is funded through the County’s cultural arts program.
The Director of Development & Membership is responsible for overseeing all revenue-generating operations at LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes (LA Plaza). Working closely with the CEO, the position identifies prospects for individual, corporate, and foundation gifts, develop strategies for solicitation, works with LA Plaza Board members to facilitate and steward connections; and manages all follow-up and grant reporting activities. The Director of Development will actively cultivate LA Plaza’s donors, as well as prospective donors. The Director of Development oversees the organization’s fundraising events, including the annual gala, and is also responsible for overseeing the organization’s membership development program.
Values & Principles:
- Committed to learning and understanding the vision and goals of LA Plaza in order to effectively cultivate and maintain donors.
- Committed to learning all products, services, work plans and metrics of the department and LA Plaza.
- Strive to reach and exceed established personal and professional goals.
- Abide by LA Plaza’s policies and procedures and operate with candor, transparency, clear communication and the highest ethical standards.
- Serve as a team player by working collaboratively with all LA Plaza’s employees.
- Uphold the highest standards of customer service for all LA Plaza’s constituents in terms of speed of response, accuracy and completeness.
- Demonstrate a strong passion for fulfilling the goals of LA Plaza as a representative of the organization with the larger community.
Director of Development Duties: Create strategies to identify and secure corporate, foundation, individual and government partnerships, and develop target prospect lists, and cultivate/engage existing donors and prospects. Understand the marketing and business needs of corporations and foundations and develops and implements a revenue generation strategy that addresses these needs. Requires good understanding of foundation grant-writing process and opportunities.
Organizational Development: Oversees the annual work plan process, including the collection of data for departmental year-end reports. Prepare annual budgets, and related reports upon request. Serve as professional lead for fundraising events, which include dinners, select gatherings, and other events to raise awareness in LA Plaza. Serve as a member of the organization’s senior staff team.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Experience: 5+ years in development and/or events planning Special consideration will be given to candidates with proven fundraising results.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required. An undergraduate degree in business or development is preferred.
- Communication Skills: Ability to cultivate stakeholders via written or verbal communication – strong writing, knowledge of event planning, and presentation skills required.
- Technology Skills: Internet competency and strong computer proficiency, including mastery of the Microsoft Office software suite and a familiarity with database software, and a willingness and ability to learn appropriate database, spreadsheet and other computer programs.
- Project Management Skills: Strong organizational and management skills with attention to detail. Proven track record of achieving revenue targets. Flexibility to work some evenings/weekends based on special event schedule.
- Judgment and Discretion: Skill in determining matters of importance and information of use to the executive, exercising initiative in accomplishing any related tasks or referring the rest.
- Ability to refer, give, deny or ask for information in a tactful and friendly manner. Ability to keep information confidential.
- Team Work & General Skills: Ability to work well independently and as a team member. Ability to take initiative, and follow tasks through to completion. Ability to work with a team toward LA Plaza’s goals, leveraging each team member's skill set. Strong ability to maintain the integrity of confidential information. Professional appearance and demeanor.
- Ability to travel and attend meetings, presentations and events outside the office.
- May require weekends, extended work day, attendance at off-site events and/or meetings.
- LA Plaza offers a competitive compensation package that includes:
- Salary range: $75,000 - $95,000
- Individual health, dental and vision care
- Free parking
- Non-match 401K plan