Job Title: General Manager – LA Love & Leashes
Reports to: FLAAS Board of Directors
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Effective: January 2018
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Friends of LA Animal Shelters Board of Directors, the General Manager provides guidance and service to clients at LA Love & Leashes adoption facility located within the Santa Monica Healthy Spot location. This candidate provides work direction and management to a team of Pet Adoption Specialists and Volunteers, handles social media, offsite events, and is responsible for monthly fundraising goals.
% Essential Job Functions:
- 45: Provide high-quality, safe, pet-adoption services including: care and supervision of dogs and cats, assistance to clients in all steps of the adoption process and post-adoption, answering questions regarding individual dogs and cats available for adoption at our facility and within LAAS. Complete all paperwork required to finalize adoptions and solicit donations from adopters and visitors for the organization. Provide excellent internal and external customer service in all areas of responsibility. Help guide a steady increase of adoptions month over month and keep track of adoptions through both weekly report and visual representation inside store.
- 15: Manage, oversee and delegate, as necessary, to ensure timely daily updates of social media accounts with pictures and videos of dogs and cats that are at the store. On a daily basis, monitor Facebook, Yelp, Instagram, etc. for questions and comments and respond to inquiries and comments accordingly. Follow up with adopters to see how they and their new companions are doing, and request a “Pupdate” for sharing on social media within 3 months of adoption. Manager is also tasked with ideas for and execution of ways to grow our social media following with the expectation of an increase of 45-65 authentic followers each month for the first year.
- 15: Provide direction to a team of Pet Adoption Specialists and Volunteers in areas of customer service skills building and canine behavioral management. Delegate daily tasks to specialists to ensure that cleaning, walks, and feedings are completed in a timely manner. Responsible for orienting new Specialists and Volunteers to the positions and program. Responsible for training Specialists and Volunteers and setting the behavioral standard for the repeated solicitation and collection of donations.
- 10: Monitor the transport of dogs and cats from the animal shelter to Love & Leashes adoption facility. Collect appropriate documents from LA Animal Services staff when animals are delivered and assure that records are accurate and vaccinations are up to date. Develop and cultivate a good working relationship with ACTS and shelter liaisons to help ensure we have a good mix of adoptable animals in the store daily.
- 5: Assures the adoption environment is safe, clean, and free of hazards. Completes and/or delegates daily cleaning and sanitizing tasks. Responds appropriately to personnel and/or animal injuries, and assures both employees and animalsreceive prompt and appropriate medical care, as needed.
- 5: Receives a monthly (or annual) fundraising goal (to be determined) and that fundraising goal will be tied to an agreed upon annual bonus if goals are met within the designated timeframe
- 5: Keep volunteer and adopter/supporter database updated weekly and prepare and secure weekly volunteer scheduling.
Positions Supervised (Direct Reports):
- Provides direction and manages and supports a team of Adoption Specialists.
Minimum Education or Training Equivalent to:
- 2 years of professional, management experience working with dogs is strongly preferred.
Minimum Years of Additional Related Experience:
Special Qualifications (Skills, Abilities, Licenses):
- Demonstrated customer service skills; friendly, approachable, cooperative, flexible, and able to shift focus as needed.
- Able to professionally and effectively interact and communicate, verbally and in writing, with staff, customers, and public from diverse cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team, take initiative, prioritize and accurately perform multiple tasks, and efficiently meet deadlines and changing priorities.
- Able to consistently demonstrate good judgment and decision-making skills.
- Proficient with all social media platforms and all basic Microsoft Office products.
- Creative thinker and problem-solver.
Physical Requirements (Approximate Percent per 8-hour Workday):
- Constant visual stimulation, including close vision (up to 100%).
- Constant standing (up to 100%).
- Constant walking (up to 100%).
- Frequent squatting, bending, reaching, pulling, and twisting (up to 60%).
- Frequent lifting of dogs up to 30 pounds without assistance (up to 60%)
- Frequent walking around neighborhood to provide exercise to dogs (up to 30%).