Job Title: Community Programs Coordinator
Location: Riverside County, CA
Organization: Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI)
Job Opening: ASAP
Closing date: When Filled
KDI is currently seeking a Community Programs Coordinator who is passionate about community-driven design and development, to support the organization’s continued work in the Eastern Coachella Valley. We are looking for someone who knows the Eastern Coachella Valley intimately and is eager to help residents create positive change in their communities. A candidate with a commitment to and experience in advancing social, economic, and environmental justice is highly desired. This is a fantastic opportunity for a highly motivated and creative, self-starter to work in a collaborative, interdisciplinary, growing organization on a range of project types. Candidates must have specific technical experience and a bachelor's degree, but must also have a natural ability to connect with a diverse population. Using innovation and creativity to deliver services that improve resident quality of life and develop resident leadership and build people power for their assigned projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
COMMUNITY ORGANIZING – 30%
- Develop KDI outreach strategies, workplans and outreach plans for assigned projects
- Develop and maintain a diverse strong base of resident project leaders
- Build effective organizing relationships with partners, elected official’s office, and other key stakeholders near each project site
- Perform and oversee various forms of outreach, including door-to-door, phone banking, tabling, presenting, convening, and facilitating meetings (including one-on-one and large community meetings), and conduct other outreach as needed
- Supervise, collaborate with, and support KDI Community Associate in implementing outreach strategies for all projects in the Eastern Coachella Valley, particularly in the communities of Oasis and North Shore.
- Keep and maintain an organized file of agendas, flyers, sign-in sheets, and other important documents per project
- Maintain and develop media, community, and stakeholder contact lists
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT – 30%
- Work with and support KDI community partners in North Shore, Thermal, Oasis, and Mecca to improve capacity and build self-sufficiency.
- Collaborate with the KDI design and planning teams to design, facilitate, and document community workshops for our public space design and construction processes in the Eastern Coachella Valley.
- Work with Community Associate to facilitate and deploy “in the field” community engagement.
- Provide and support data recording and input management for all community engagement and workshops including taking detailed minutes,
- tracking of community decision-making, photo documentation, etc.
- Attend project-related and coalition-building meetings in the Coachella Valley and Los Angeles, as needed.
- Work with partners and community leaders to create both systemic and neighborhood changes through local and strategic campaigns that involves residents at every step
PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT + IMPLEMENTATION – 40%
- Work with ECV residents to design and develop social and economic programs to support new public space projects.
- Support and build capacity so that residents successfully implement new social and economic programs in the ECV.
- Manage day-to-day programmatic operations that support Eastern Coachella Valley projects.
- Work with Directors to develop and manage program budgets.
- Investigate and develop relationships with partner organizations to collaborate on program development and implementation.
- Develop and facilitate initiatives that contribute to long-term project excellence.
- Background in community organizing or community programming
- Fluency in English and Spanish (written and verbal)
- Comfortable with public speaking and talking with people of all backgrounds
- 3+ years of experience designing and implementing community economic development programs
- Experience living or working in the Eastern Coachella Valley a plus
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills
- Experience in meeting facilitation, conducting community surveys, and data management, a plus
KDI is a non-profit design and community development organization. We collaborate with under-resourced communities to advance equity and activate the unrealized potential in neighborhoods and cities. We accomplish this mission through advocacy, research, planning, and built works.
We have been recognized for our innovative approach to poverty alleviation by notable institutions such as The Rockefeller Foundation, UN-Habitat, The California Endowment, Ashoka Changemakers, American Express, Annenberg Alchemy, Smithsonian Institute, IDEO, Echoing Green, The Atlantic Renewal Project, and UN/Dubai and Swiss Re Foundation.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or medical condition.