POSITION: Director of Communications
REPORTS TO: Director of Advancement
The Director of Communications will direct Sequoyah’s internal and external communications to enhance the visibility of the school and strengthen the relationships between the school and its constituent groups, including prospective families, current students and their parents, as well as alumnae and friends of the school. S/he develops and manages all aspects of the school’s communications plan, including publications, media relations, special event publicity, and online platforms.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Communications will:
- Direct the school’s internal and external communications and marketing, advancing Sequoyah’s goals and increasing engagement with constituencies.
- Develop messages and communications that express an understanding of Sequoyah’s history, culture, educational philosophy and traditions.
- Serve as an advisor to the Director of Advancement, Director of Admissions, and Head of School on matters pertaining to the school’s communications
- Support the Head of School, Board of Trustees, Director of Advancement, and others as directed by the Head of School and/or Director of Advancement, by drafting and editing communications including correspondence.
- Manage all aspects of the school’s communications and marketing plan, including print and online communication, event publicity, and media relations.
- Serve as executive editor for schoolwide communications assuring consistency across publications.
- Develop and manage an integrated social media presence.
- Support senior administrators, faculty, and staff in developing and articulating a shared understanding of curriculum
- goals and student learning, policies and protocols, and expectations for roles and responsibilities within the school community.
- Develop key messages (admissions, publications, marketing materials, collateral materials, campaign materials, etc.) for multiple constituencies.
- Ensure communication quality and consistency across various functions of the school and establish guidelines to apply schoolwide for professionals and volunteers.
- Oversee the coordination of graphic design, advertising, photography, videography, writing, editing, graphic identity, speeches/remarks and online content.
- Direct strategic publicity for special on- and off-campus events that enhance the school’s visibility and affinity among its constituent groups, including prospective families, current students and their parents, alumnae, and friends of Sequoyah.
DESIRED EXPERTISE & EXPERIENCE
- Proven success as an administrator responsible for communications and marketing
- A master’s degree in a related field
- Flexibility and creativity in a fast moving office environment
- Demonstrated success in managing multiple projects with shifting priorities and competing deadlines
- Ability to develop, monitor and adhere to budgets and production schedules.
- Exceptional public speaking , writing and editing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Understanding of the value of diversity within a school
- Cultural competency
The Director of Communications will take on other duties as may be assigned by the Director of Advancement or the Head of School, and must be willing to work evenings and occasional weekends to fulfill responsibilities. Sequoyah School has a rich history of diversity and seeks candidates to enhance that tradition. Sequoyah offers competitive salary and benefits.