POSITION: Director of Advancement
REPORTS TO: Head of School
The Director of Advancement will provide the leadership, direction, coordination, and vision for all marketing, communications and fundraising activities of the school. In doing so, the Director of Advancement will develop and oversee communications and strategies which promote Sequoyah’s values, nurture constituency relations, and inspire engagement and investment in the life of the school. Success depends upon the careful identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of prospects and donors to raise voluntary financial support, as well as close collaboration with the Director of Admission to achieve enrollment targets. With the support of the Head of School and the Board of Trustees, he or she is expected to shape the capacity of the organization to meet annual and long-range fundraising goals. The ideal candidate will have a track record of cultivating and soliciting major gifts successfully, both personally and in collaboration with others.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Advancement will:
- In collaboration with school leadership, devise and manage an advancement program designed to attract the maximum gift support possible to the institution including: annual fund strategy and solicitation, community building and fundraising events, planned giving programs, corporate gifts, foundation grants, and major and capital campaign gifts.
- Assist the Head of School and the Board of Trustees in identifying and addressing long-range challenges, developing and implementing strategic plans, and supporting action plans.
- Articulate strategic direction and build a case for support.
- Develop and coordinate all aspects of gift campaigns and, in doing so, assure personal attention is given to key volunteers and donors while building a broad base of support for strategic priorities among stakeholders.
- Provide direction and support to the Head of School in fulfilling his advancement responsibilities.
- Provide regular analysis of advancement program results and status to the Head of School, Board of Trustees and administrative team as appropriate. This will include regular verbal, written, quantitative and qualitative analyses, briefings, and recommendations.
- Oversee the stewardship of all gifts.
- Oversee marketing and communications to ensure messages are developed and communicated in ways that will promote Sequoyah’s mission and values, and will nurture constituency relations, commitment and investment.
- Address and enhance the public’s perception of the school.
- Represent Sequoyah School in its values, achievements, mission, needs, and opportunities to its constituencies and donors.
- Manage advancement staff, including establishing annual goals, performance reviews and professional development.
- Serve as staff support for the Board of Trustees and board committees as needed, including the Executive Committee, the Development Committee, and the Committee on Trustees.
- Assist the Head of School and the Board of Trustees in addressing emergent issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
DESIRED EXPERTISE & EXPERIENCE
- Proven success as an administrator responsible for fundraising and communications
- A Master’s degree in a related field
- Demonstrated success in managing multiple high-stakes projects with shifting priorities and competing deadlines
- Experience using data as a tool for decision-making
- Exceptional public speaking and writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Ability to think strategically and at a level of detail that assures effective planning and implementation
Understanding of the value of diversity within a school
The Director of Advancement will take on other duties as may be assigned by the Head of School, and must be willing to work evenings and occasional weekends to fulfill responsibilities. Sequoyah School has a rich history of diversity and seeks candidates to enhance that tradition. Sequoyah offers
competitive salary and benefits.