Classification Standards: The Policy & Planning Department of the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority advocates for effective policies and increased resources at the federal, state, and local levels and facilitates local planning and systems change efforts to reduce and end homelessness in greater Los Angeles. Reporting to the Policy Manager, the Policy Supervisor will be responsible for providing team leadership to Policy Unit staff, including Policy Analysts, Legislative Analysts, and Policy Interns in fulfilling a broad range of activities related to federal, state, and local policy and legislation pertaining to homeless persons and the programs that serve them.
Essential Job Functions:
- Collaborate with the Policy Manager to prioritize, delegate, and manage work flow processes within the Policy Unit.
- Identify, research, track and draft positions related to homeless and housing services and policy.
- Provide guidance and technical assistance to internal staff and external partners on policy, legislative, and budget issues impacting homelessness in the Los Angeles.
- Act as a liaison between the community, policymakers, and community partners on policy and legislative issues related to homelessness.
- Represent LAHSA at policy-related meetings, including, but not limited to, long-term planning for services for homeless persons and interagency networking.
- Prepare and draft public policy, legislative, and budget updates for the Los Angeles Continuum of Care.
- Prepare reports to the LAHSA Commission and other governing bodies as needed.
- Other related duties assigned by the Policy Manager.
Minimum Qualifications: The ideal candidate will thrive in an environment where coordination and collaboration are critical to success, and will be able to:
- Bachelor’s Degree in public policy, public administration, communications, urban planning, business, or related field with 3-5 years of relevant experience working in the public or nonprofit sector.
- A master’s degree in Public Policy or a related degree is strongly preferred, but additional excellent experience may be substituted. The successful candidate is required to have strong knowledge of the social services field and/or programs in the non-profit, government, or private sector.
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communications skills, including the ability to communicate technical information clearly and effectively to non-policy oriented audiences both in writing and through public speaking.
- Demonstrate excellent critical thinking and proofreading skills, including the ability to read and interpret regulations, policies, and/or procedures.
- Demonstrate ability to generate policy memos, briefs, and reports.
- Demonstrate excellent meeting facilitation skills.
- Must be creative and flexible in developing approaches to problem solving.
- Demonstrate attention to detail.
- Demonstrate excellent time management skills; plan, organize and implement work activities by prioritizing work under a tight schedule.
- Work as a leader of a team with a collaborative, straightforward approach to policy analysis.
- Work independently and exercise initiative and good judgment.
- Must be service-minded and open to new ideas and approaches.
- Demonstrate familiarity with federal, state, and local (including City and County of Los Angeles) policies and procedures.
- Must be highly proficient in office software such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Must have a minimum of two (2) years of general management experience or demonstrated ability to lead professionals through influence and collaboration.
- Hold a valid California driver’s license.
Desired Skills, Competencies and Requirements:
- Knowledge of systems and programs that impact homeless persons and homeless program funding sources, regulations, requirements, and procedures.
- Experience with program development, implementation, and evaluation processes.
- Familiarity with Team GANTT or other project management software.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically to solve complex problems, with the ability to quickly grasp concepts and apply them in problem solving.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED