We are nonprofit organization committed to developing and managing affordable housing. We own and manage over 1,700 units of rental housing located within the City of Santa Monica. The organization is fully integrated with housing development, property management, a maintenance staff, and resident services.
- Under the direction of the Director of Housing Development, the Project Manager is responsible for activities relating to a project’s development from site acquisition to construction completion and conversion to permanent financing.
Essential Position Responsibilities
- Work with the Director of Housing Development to identify new properties to acquire and to perform feasibility analyses.
- Secure acquisition/predevelopment financing and acquire land/buildings.
- Secure development entitlements and approvals, including preparing applications and negotiating with public agencies and community groups.
- Provide input, analysis and oversight of architects, engineers and consultants in the preparation of plans and documents.
- Oversee the preparation of construction bidding and contract materials.
- Provide input, analysis and recommendations with regards to the selection of contractors, construction managers, and other team members.
- Coordinate tenant relocations.
Financing / Closing
- Secure commitments for construction/permanent financing, including preparing applications and coordinating the submittal of required materials.
- Negotiate deal terms with lenders and investors with input from the Director of Housing Development.
- Coordinate the closing of construction financing.
- Answer questions and resolve issues as they arise.
New Construction & Rehabilitation
- Coordinate with other departments within our organization including Property Management, Maintenance and Accounting.
- Monitor construction in progress, prepare payment requests, evaluate change order requests, resolve issues as they arise, and ensure compliance with various requirements.
- Provide updates and recommendations to management.
Permanent Loan Conversion
- Ensure all requirements are met to pay-off the construction loan and convert to permanent financing.
- Serve as a project’s contact person for all entities, including local, state and federal agencies as well as various community groups. Be able to address and handle issues that arise during the process.
- Demonstrate professionalism and leadership within company by managing projects with a consideration for all departments’ needs.
- Participate in or lead efforts to enhance use of technology, improve processes and lower risks.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel and Word.
- Demonstrated proficiency in real estate finance.
- Ability to produce complex financial spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of affordable housing and community development programs and issues.
- Knowledge of real estate entitlement and approval processes.
- Understanding of urban planning concepts.
- Understanding of construction management principals.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and ability to work within a team environment.
- Strong analytical, mathematical, communication and organizational skills.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Architecture, Public Administration or related field required. Master’s Degree in Planning, Real Estate, Business or related field preferred. Approximately 2 years of related work in real estate finance or development or other relevant work experience for real estate development.
This position has work direction supervisory responsibilities without performance management.
This position requires the ability to sit and use office equipment and computers for the majority of the workday. Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds. Must be able to drive to worksites and inspect and survey worksites.
This position works in an office environment and is also exposed to outdoor elements such as project sites.
This position requires travel within the region, including but not limited to development sites, other municipalities, consultant offices and government offices. Infrequent travel out of state may be required. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and insurance as required by law.
Benefits & Compensation
- We offer compensation based on experience
- We are a 9/80 schedule with every other Friday off
- Benefits include medical, dental and life insurance
- Paid holidays, sick and 4 weeks of vacation
An Equal Opportunity Employer