Music Forward is a national, independent non-profit organization dedicated to accelerating career skills for youth using music as the bridge to success. Focusing on young people ages 12-22 in underserved communities, we set the stage for success by providing workshops and showcases to kick-start musical careers, and inspire the next generation of music industry leaders with hands-on career exploration. Music Forward is the evolution of the International House of Blues Foundation, which began in 1993. Learn more at www.hobmusicforward.org.
The Marketing Project Manager is integral to refining and implementing Music Forward’s Communications Strategy, including the assessment of our current marketing and communications tools and strategies; development of content and messaging; identification of key audiences; and design of a communications plan for administration and execution in collaboration with the Director of Development & Communication. The Marketing Project Manager knows Music Forward’s mission and story, inside and out, and focuses efforts in two core areas: developing and executing a communications plan to include strategies focused on reaching Music Forward’s target audiences and stakeholders; and creating content and messaging into a variety of formats while ensuring timely delivery. The Manager is responsible for effectively managing vendor relationships, interns, and volunteers to increase brand awareness and promote our initiatives.
Candidates for this opportunity should be exceptional writers, creative thinkers, resourceful problem-solvers, detail-oriented project managers, and should possess a full range of marketing and communication skills including media relations, editing, graphic design, and social media management. A passion for youth development, and commitment to the nonprofit sector are strongly preferred. This position reports to the Director of Development & Communication and will work closely with Program and Development staff.
- Understand Music Forward’s story and core messages: Thoroughly understand Music Forward’s history, mission, programs, story and core messages outlined in the Communications Strategy and through research and discussion with stakeholders.
- Design and execute communications strategies: Build timelines, budgets, trackers, logs, presentation materials, and other tools to efficiently and effectively manage and communicate outcomes. Develop innovative strategies to leverage program alumni, donors, volunteers, interns, online community, and others to assist in capturing and sharing our story.
- Understand key audiences: Thoroughly understand Music Forward’s key audiences as defined and prioritized by the Director of Development & Communication and outlined in the Communications
- Strategy. Develop understanding by research into characteristics and needs of target audiences, and the competitors for the audiences’ attention and resources.
- Develop content and messaging into variety of formats: Develop written and visual content, as well as templates and oral language guides. Content is utilized in a variety of formats, including, but not limited to press releases, video, photos, posters, flyers, PowerPoint/verbal presentations, website, social media, YouTube, Google ads, and swag, to aid with outreach and implementation. Ensure all collateral is on brand and on message.
- Gather and incorporate feedback from internal stakeholders and external stakeholders in a structured process, and test content with focus groups to ensure effectiveness. Research and utilize other best practices to deliver compelling messaging and content, including phrasing, placement, format, and timing of content.
- Deliver and organize content: Work with Program and Development teams to determine exact delivery deadlines, and oversee contractors, interns, and volunteers, for timely delivery. Make content available in an organized fashion on shared servers, common access portals, etc.
- In-house – Provide easy-to-use templates and timely training to Program and Development teams for standard, year-over-year use.
- Online Presence – Work with outside vendors to calendar and actively manage and track the success of Music Forward’s online presence.
- Media Projects – Identify, screen, select, and direct photographers and videographers to capture our story in a compelling manner; utilize content strategically and in a timely manner through our communication channels.
- Partner Communications – Assist in managing communication with various partners including House of Blues, Live Nation and Ticketmaster.
- Media Relations – Ensure timely circulation of press releases, maintenance of media log and electronic files. Direct media inquiries to appropriate internal and external parties.
- Be an active member of our team: Take initiative by brainstorming, researching, proposing, and testing strategic changes within current communications, including evaluation of current and future value of outside vendors, partners, and interns; participate in required staff calls and meetings; provide general and administrative support for organization outreach and special events; additional duties as assigned.
What you bring
- 4+ years experience in marketing, PR and/or communications
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and manage time
- Proven capacity to lead projects, manage teams, work individually and collaboratively
- An evident pride in work with a demonstrated commitment to high professional standards
- High level of comfort working in a diverse, fast-paced environment
- Must be able to work early mornings, evenings and weekends to finish projects and support programs and special events as needed
- College degree or equivalent experience
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills with acute attention to detail
- Experience creating content for websites and social media; competency with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube; familiarity with WordPress
- Graphic design experience and familiarity with Adobe Creative Design Suite, a plus
- Knowledge of SEO, SEM, and corresponding website management a huge plus