JOB TITLE: Instructional Specialist (MATH)
PROGRAM: Los Angeles Promise Neighborhood
STATUS: Full-time (Exempt)
REPORTS TO: Promise Neighborhood Director
HISTORY and MISSION
The Youth Policy Institute transforms Los Angeles neighborhoods using a holistic approach to reduce poverty by ensuring families have access to high quality schools, wrap-around education and technology services, enabling a successful transition from cradle to college and career. Since the 1990’s, YPI has successfully blended multiple funding streams and partnerships to saturate Los Angeles communities with critically needed services. YPI currently operates a $41 million budget and places more than 1,200 staff at 125 service sites throughout Los Angeles. YPI provide programs and services to more than 100,000 clients each year.
The Youth Policy Institute is currently seeking an Instructional Specialist in Mathematics for middle and high school students (grades 7-12) for its Los Angeles Promise Neighborhood in the Promise Zone initiative. To support teachers, instructional leaders, and academic tutors, we are seeking one Instructional Specialist who is specialized in Math grades 7-12. The Los Angeles Promise Neighborhood in the Promise Zone will transform communities within the Promise Zone through a continuum of cradle-to- college-and- career services, and will be a zone of choice for families with a wide range of high-quality school options including traditional, charter, pilot and partnership schools. The centerpiece of the Los Angeles Promise Neighborhood in the Promise Zone is an innovative public-private partnership that blends diverse funding streams around a core set of outcomes and objectives. The Los Angeles Promise Neighborhood in the Promise Zone is transforming 8 neighborhood schools into full-service community schools focusing on student proficiency and family supports through the college and career pathway.
The team of Instructional Specialists (Math, ELA/ELD, and STEM) will work together to manage and deliver high quality services to school sites located throughout the Promise Zone. Each Coach will be responsible for developing, selecting, and delivering professional development, curriculum, and assessments, as well as supporting classroom teachers through a cognitive coaching model. Instructional Specialists will also lead ongoing training aligned to program needs for internal YPI staff.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Math Instructional Content Support
- Partner with school staff (administrators, teachers, etc.) to develop and implement Common-Core curriculum and support instruction using the new CCSS and CA math standards.
- Support teachers in assessing for both student mastery and growth towards college readiness and ensures that assessments are used to inform teacher instruction.
- Develop own and teacher’s knowledge of best practices in instructional methods and show teachers how to match particular strategies to gaps in student mastery.
- Lead and support with the development and use of Mathematics curricular materials, including common assessments, scope and sequence documents, common assessments, and other tools to support the successful implementation of Common Core State Standards.
- With guidance from the school leadership, lead the planning and goal-setting for the content that s/he coaches and ensures alignment with school-wide goals;
- Partner with school staff (administrators, teachers, etc.) to develop and implement classroom curriculum and instruction;
- Work with the Director of Academic Support and Academic Coaching Team to develop and implement priority initiatives for Math instruction at target sites;
- Assist with the development and use of Mathematics curricular materials (7-12), including common assessments, scope and sequence documents, common assessments, and other tools to support the successful implementation of Common Core State Standards;
- Support in the professional development of the math teachers, academic tutors and Academic Support team.
- Support with all academic grant requirements for assigned school sites including the collection, analysis and reporting of data.
- Support the implementation of high quality tutoring in the core content area and aligned to Common Core State Standards (CCSSs) at PN sites.
- Conduct informal and formal observations of classroom instruction tutoring sessions to ensure effectiveness and identify PD needs.
Curriculum Development and Training
- Responsible for the development and selection of curriculum to be used by the program that is aligned to school site academic requirements and CCSSs.
- Development and facilitation of training for school staff and academic tutors to prepare them to ensure high quality instructional services.
- Lesson planning and instructional support for all grade levels assigned.
- Development and selection of program assessments that measure academic and attitudinal progress.
- Development of grade specific tutoring strategies and tools.
- Align lesson plan, assessments and overall classroom and tutoring instruction to CCSSs.
PREREQUISITES AND MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree minimum, Master’s degree preferred.
- Active California Teaching Credential preferred/Out of state credential considered.
- At least three (3) years of successful full-time public school service in a credentialed position(s); (5) five years preferred
- Curriculum development experience a plus.
- Academic coaching or related experience preferred.
- 2+ years of developing and delivering high quality training for small and large groups.
- CLAD/BCLAD highly encouraged
- Knowledge of and experience with successfully instructing English Language Learners.
- Knowledge of Common Core State Standards and experience implementing CCSS- aligned curriculum.
- Experience and a strong track record of assisting students in an academic environment
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred.
- Experience developing academic and attitudinal assessments.
- Experience collecting, analyzing, and reporting academic data.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours and work in a fast pace environment; available to work weekends when needed.
- Must be deadline-oriented with the ability to multitask and handle various projects and responsibilities.
- Ability to work with varied populations, such as school administrators, teachers, and students.
- Must pass a criminal background check (Live Scan fingerprinting) prior to beginning employment.
- Must present proof of negative Tuberculosis skin test (Mantoux) prior to beginning employment dated within 60 days.
- Access to reliable transportation to transport training materials to various sites. If applicable, will be required to provide current driver’s license, proof of acceptable driving record (current H-6 DMV printout), and proof of liability auto insurance.
- Agency sponsored medical, dental, and vision coverage with percentage of paid premium for employee. Eligible dependents can also obtain coverage at an additional cost to the employee.
- Employer paid life insurance.
- Employer paid Employee Assistant Program.
- Option to participate in AFLAC.
- 401K retirement plan with up to 4% deferral matching profit sharing on contributions for all eligible employees.
- Thirteen annually paid holidays.
- Paid vacation and sick time off.
- Agency-issued laptop and case.
- Option to have company-issued cell phone or agency will pay monthly allowance to use your own phone for YPI business for eligible positions.
- Reimbursement of all mileage and travel costs.
- Access to training resources and materials.
- Monthly well-being challenges.